We are looking for an Assistant General Counsel who will serve as an advisor on legal and ethical issues. We need someone who is able to provide expert, principled, pragmatic resolutions and commercially relevant employment law advice. You must be an enterprise-level problem solver with a flexible futuristic approach who can make informed decisions and legal risk assessments in the best interests of the firm. You must have strong interpersonal skills and be an excellent verbal and written communicator to all levels of the company.
As our Assistant General Counsel, you will serve as a subject matter authority in all areas of federal and state employment laws, providing timely, practical resolutions and legal advice to business leaders on a variety of employment law issues including hiring, performance management, disciplinary action, terminations, internal investigations, contingent worker issues, reasonable accommodations, leaves of absence, wage and hour compliance, and general employee risk management. You will coordinate and supervise responses to administrative charges, demand letters and other potential disputes against the company through negotiation or mediation. A substantial part of the job will focus on developing, implementing and monitoring compliance. You will also provide advice and counsel with regard to legal compliance issues impacting employees and assist the General Counsel in developing strategic plans for all employment-related matters, including but not limited to, policies, procedures, litigation and pre-litigation matters.
What You Bring
- A Juris Doctorate degree from accredited law school and active Texas license
- Minimum 3+ years of experience in employment law in a corporate and/or law firm with an emphasis on the following specialty areas: litigation, administrative proceedings (state or federal), compliance issues, and negotiation of executive-level contracts
- Seasoned communication skills—able to influence at all of levels and across functions in a complex matrix organization
- Ability and experience working closely and collaboratively with teams
- Ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and with a demanding case workload, and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable
- Be part of a multi-disciplinary team and provide employment law advice that requires an ability to work collaboratively within the legal and compliance function and with various business, legal, compliance and HR stakeholders;
- Establish a strong partnership with the legal, HR, and business teams, provide sound employment & labor advice, active leadership and engagement in managing a broad range of employment & labor matters impacting the business;
- Anticipate and mitigate risk to deliver value and drive the best results for the enterprise;
- Oversee HR investigations and providing employment & labor advice;
- Lead projects across legal and functional teams through project management skills;
- Provide advice on full range of employment law issues, including hiring, discipline, termination, compensation, benefits, restrictive covenants and COVID-19;
- Support HR, labor, benefits and business colleagues;
- Advise on employment cases, including discrimination and wage and hour matters;
- Review and provide guidance on drafting and development of HR policies and procedures;
- Assist human resources in reviewing and implementing human resources compliance training programs;
- Advise on labor related legal matters and generally assist the company in all other employment related matters.
- Defend, supervise, and manage employment related claims, including managing outside counsel, responding to administrative charges, complaints, attorney’s letters, settlement demands and claims.
This position reports to the General Counsel.
Travel Requirements: 10%-20%