Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The Associate Director, Finance is a key member of the Optum Corporate Finance Team, supporting a number of strategic deliverables and driving key processes.
This person will work closely with the Corporate Strategy teams as well as key stakeholders in the business segments to offer business intelligence around monthly business updates, earnings preparation in support of the earnings release call, competitive insights, operating cost analytics, trend analysis and other financial planning activities.
This role will be an individual contributor but will matrix heavily with many stakeholders as part of the Optum Corporate and Consolidations Finance team.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Provide Optum Corporate Finance support of strategic finance initiatives and executive reporting
- Executive Reporting:
- Preparation and ownership of Optum MBR materials for UHG MBR, including Q&A/talking points for Leadership
- BOD ownership, end to end process management and oversight
- NPS - Collaborate with Enterprise NPS teams to understand initiatives underway in this area; report back through MBR and BOD packages
- Earnings prep, metrics and Consolidated Q&A prep for Investor Relations
- Develop strategic business acumen as part of these processes
- Support strategic decision making through an in depth understanding of UHG, Optum and competitors, industry trends, market dynamics and internal key indicators
- Key support and contributor to annual Investor Conference preparation, in conjunction with working team
- Competitive research, including Quarterly Competitive Scan preparation, news alerts and real time market intelligence, quick hits emails
- Manage consolidated reporting and analysis for monthly business reviews, earnings release preparation and CFO Q&A preparation, Annual Investor Conference
- Analyst Consensus Modeling: build and maintain consensus perspectives and review analyst models each quarter; provide updated consensus models to Optum CFOs
- Ongoing peer company analysis, industry trends and news flow
- Own long range financial planning in conjunction with segment finance teams, including quarterly refresh of consensus. Also includes:
- Drive Long Range Planning process, in conjunction with Corporate Strategy, Corporate FP&A and other key stakeholders
- Partner with business contracts and chief of staff community
- Improve process behind modeling; build depth and documentation
- Analyze trends; inform forecasting process and document assumptions
- Drive annual business planning process in conjunction with Corporate Strategy, Optum Corporate FP&A and other key stakeholders
- Partner with business finance teams to generate insights around cost analytics and cost trends to ensure appropriate cost structures are in place to drive desired business results
- Establish solid relationships across all parts of the organization and proactively meet with key finance and strategy leaders across the businesses
- Lead and drive project work: Drive innovation activities at the corporate finance level to help modernize our executive reporting, content management, develop insights and takeaways and sustainable refresh
- Conduct analysis and research, as needed; present findings and recommendations to management
- Develop, translate and report on strategic initiatives drive better decision making and reduce overall total cost of care across our business portfolios
- Working closely with NPS team to clearly track and report against targets
- Support cost reduction initiatives, as needed, and tracking of cost management by segment
- Support product line profitability and cost allocation methodologies; offer thought leadership around how to refresh, automate and mature in this space
- Analyze and synthesize operating expense trends; identify savings opportunities and collaborate with cross functional teams to drive progress against these opportunities
- Complete monthly packages and create/enhance meaningful reporting views
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 6+ years of relevant Finance experience
- Team oriented with experience supporting executives
- Forecasting / Budgeting / Reporting skills
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Powerpoint
- Financial scenario planning
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience working in operating cost management and comfort in proposing cost management ideas and target setting to senior leadership
- Experience using SmartView
- Refined executive presence and ability to influence across the leadership spectrum Ability to work within a highly matrixed organization
- Ability to influence without authority
- Solid business acumen
- Analytical skills, including Aability to manage and synthesize large amounts of data
- Excellent ollaboration skills and a keen focus on building relationships with our customers
- Natural curiosity to learn more, dig into details, understand key drivers of our business
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Team player
- Ability to use proper discretion when dealing with confidential information
- High level of integrity
- Trusted advisor and partner to those we serve in the business
- Project management and solid ganizational skills
- Flexible and able to adapt quickly to change
- Ability to drive multiple priorities / work streams to resolution in a dynamic cross matrix environment under tight deadlines
- Sense for forecast risk identification and ability to develop and propose potential resolutions
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.