Purpose of Job
Leads implementation of the first line of defense risk management program for a line of business or staff agency. Develops the first line of defense framework to ensure risk data is captured to develop risk mitigation strategies and controls. Engages and partners with the Chief Risk Office and provides leadership and direction to ensure processes and procedures are in place to effectively monitor and manage risk. Ensures there is consistency in the aggregation of identifying and managing existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and ensure risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Develops first line of defense controls, risk programs and framework for line of business or staff agency. Oversees the implementation and maintenance of the governance framework to include internal and external.
- Manages the development of quality standards, operating policies, and procedures and directs implementation of approved changes. Identifies risk and/or quality control improvements and provides support for major initiatives as appropriate, including project activities, related integrations, strategic activities, and large system/process improvements.
- Partners with Senior Leaders in Audit, Compliance and Risk Management to provide input on control designs that address strategic, operational, financial and regulatory risks. (See bullet below)
- Responsible for the governance, administration of compliance and operational documents and operating procedures.
- Stays current of regulatory environment and new developments; Develops and recommends action plans for initiatives that have regulatory impact. Supports and engages as appropriate in discussions with relevant regulators (e.g. OCC, FDIC, CFPB) on the business risk control program and results. Keeps direct Senior Management apprised of changes and developments.
- Establishes and monitors key performance and risk indicators/metrics for line of business or staff agency to assist with the early identification of risk trends as first line of defense.
- Leads a team of professionals who perform overall assessments of operational risks and controls, and conduct testing and analyses to identify, validate, and manage emerging risk exposures.
- Implements second line of defense risk management programs in accordance with established roles and responsibilities therein.
- Follow written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 10 years of financial services experience with a focus on Business Management, Operations, Risk Management, Audit, Control, or Reporting.
- 6 years of people leadership experience in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams.
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals.
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business operations, industry practices and emerging trends.
- Strong knowledge of industry-related regulatory requirements, and operational risk concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate and operate across multiple levels of an organization.
- Experience identifying, documenting, and successfully closing business risks in all areas of Human Resources, such as Payroll, Talent, HR Operations, etc.
- Working knowledge of employment laws and regulations
- Experience working Human Resource audits to successful outcomes