The purpose of this position is to complete construction projects by planning, organizing, and controlling projects; completing quality inspections; supervising sub-contractors and staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Accomplishes construction human resource objectives by selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job contributions; recommending compensation actions; adhering to policies and procedures.
- Manages sub-contractors by locating, evaluating, and selecting sub-contractors; monitoring and controlling performance.
- Must have thorough knowledge of the industry procedures governing excavation
- Working knowledge of foreign utility locates and mandatory emergency response guidelines prior to excavation
- Ability to operate a backhoe, trencher and digger
- Meets construction budget by monitoring project expenditures; identifying variances; implementing corrective actions; providing non-project annual operating and capital budget information.
- Accomplishes construction project results by defining project purpose and scope; calculating resources required; establishing standards and protocols; allocating resources; scheduling and coordinating staff and sub-contractors; evaluating milestone assumptions and conclusions; resolving design problems; evaluating and implementing change orders.
- Approves construction projects by conducting inspections at critical phases; obtaining approvals from buyers.
- Prevents fines and interruptions by complying with, and enforcing, codes.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging construction practices and standards; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 3-5 years of aerial and underground utility construction for CATV and fiber optic transmission as well as telephone systems
- Required knowledge of ISP Construction in commercial and industrial setting
- Excellent reading/writing ability and math skills to understand job specifications and accurately complete paperwork
- Full comprehension of construction plans in order to supervise successful completion of operations
- Excellent logistics ability in order to identify and solve problems while supervising field activities
- High sense of urgency for customer needs
- Develop and maintain team-building through strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Willingness to work when necessary in order to accomplish ever-changing workload with occasional overnight travel required
- Demonstrate the ability to instruct others on the proper use of tools and equipment
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds
- May work long and irregular hours to restore service
- Frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock, moving mechanical parts, and exposed to outside weather
- Have an overall understanding of the work environment and process
- Efficient time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Highly motivated individuals are desired
- Candidates must be able to pass pre-employment testing (MVR, drug and background)
Education and/or Experience:
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or 3 years of experience as a leadworker or five years of experience in the construction field, at least 2 of those years must have been in a supervisory role, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.