Come be a part of something bigger!
More than 10,000 dedicated employees around the world bring their unique talents, expertise and experiences to work every day with Benchmark. Our strength lies in our diversity, positive service attitude and determination to succeed. Come be a part of our “Be the Difference” philosophy, where every employee, at every level, in every job strives to capture moments when they can provide memorable, personalized service to our guests, coworkers, and communities.
We are a strong believer in offering our employees Work-Life Effectiveness through, practices, policies, and programs to help our employees achieve success at both work and home. Here are just some of the great benefits we offer:
- Full Time employees have access to Medical and Dental insurance to fit your needs
- Benchmark University (You can grow both personally and professionally through on-line webinars and self-study courses)
- 401K match (Let us help you build your financial future)
- Companywide Hotel Room Discounts (Who doesn’t love to get away)
- Paid Time Off (Holidays/Vacation)
- Employee Assistance Program (We are here to support you)
- Employee family events (bring the kids!)
- Partnerships and discounts with major retailers such as AT&T, Verizon and Dish to name a few
- Many more, please inquire for more details
Who are we?
The Culinary Supervisor - Banquets is responsible for assisting the Head Chef with the overall pastry food service, throughout the property, and providing the optimal service possible while operating within predetermined budgetary limitations.
The Culinary Supervisor - Pastry is responsible for all aspects of managing the Kitchen and Kitchen personnel, ensuring the quality preparation of all menu items and proper handling/ storage of all food items in accordance with standards. Coordinates the purchase of all food and develops menus, maintaining approved food costs and labor costs.
The Culinary supervisor - Banquets shall strive to provide exceptional service to both internal and external guests at all times. S/he will be responsible for exemplifying the La Cantera Resort & Spa Culture as well as promoting La Cantera Resort & Spa as both the Destination and Employer of Choice!
What you will have an opportunity to do:
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all Hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Review the daily activities; check the following:
- House count Forecasted covers for each outlet Catering activity Purchases Meetings Appointments VIPs/special guests establish the day's priorities and assign production and prep task to staff to execute.
- Review daily specials and offer feedback to Executive Sous Chefs.
- Review Pastry Event Order sheets and make note of any changes; post function sheets for the next 7 days.
- Manage team and Meet with Executive Sous Chef to review schedules, assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
- Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift.
- Take physical inventory of specific food items for daily inventory.
- Review the market list.
- Requisition the day’s supplies and ensure that they are received and stored correctly.
- Communicate needs with Purchasing and Storeroom personnel. Ensure quality of products received.
- Meet with the Executive Steward to review equipment needs, pastry plate up assistance, cleaning schedule/project status, Health/Safety and sanitation follow up.
- Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for staff. Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Check and ensure that all opening duties are completed to standard.
- Ensure that each Kitchen work area is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand. Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides, photographs are current and posted.
- Check P.O.S. printers on the line; ensure they are in working order and there is enough paper available for the shift.
- Ensure that all staff prepare menu items following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
- Monitor performance of staff and ensure all procedures are completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Work on line during service and assist wherever needed.
- Be aware of any shortages and make arrangements before the item runs out.
- Ensure that F&B Service Staff are informed of 86'd items and amount of available menu specials throughout the meal period.
- Observe guest reactions and confer with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Conduct a frequent walk- through of each Kitchen area and direct respective personnel to correct any deficiencies.
- Ensure that quality and details are being maintained. Inspect the cleanliness of the line, floor, all Kitchen stations.
- Direct staff to rectify any deficiencies.
- Ensure that staff maintain and strictly abide by State sanitation/Health regulations and Hotel requirements.
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and Hotel requirements.
- Instruct staff in the correct usage and care of all machinery in the Kitchen operation, stressing safety.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs. Develop new menu items, test and write recipes.
- Assist Catering Department with developing special menus for functions; meet with clients as requested.
- Supervise and direct the organization and preparation of food for the Employee Cafeteria.
- Review sales and food cost daily; resolve any discrepancies with the Controller.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food and labor costs.
- Ensure that excess items are utilized efficiently.
- Monitor and ensure that all closing duties are completed to standard before staff sign out.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Provide feedback to staff on their performance; handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to Hotel standards.
- Conduct scheduled performance appraisals.
- Interview and hire new personnel according to Hotel policies and standards.
- Prepare weekly work schedules for all Kitchen personnel in accordance with staffing guidelines and forecasted labor costs. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet business demands.
- Prepare daily/weekly payroll reports.
- Document pertinent information in the log book and follow up on items notated during other shifts.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Plan and conduct monthly departmental meetings.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, F&B meetings, pre-convention meetings, B.E.O. review meetings.
- Return business telephone calls.
- Answer correspondence.
- Research local farm products, new suppliers, special markets. Attend gourmet shows, food and wine meetings.
- Perform at special events and off-premise functions.
- Schedule and conduct month-end inventories.
- Prepare menu analysis and recipe costing.
Associate is held accountable for all duties of this job and other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
- High school education required
- College degree in culinary/hospitality is preferred
- 3 to 5 years of experience in similar Hotel or Restaurant.
- Work all stations in Kitchen.
- Customer Service experience preferred
- Prior hospitality experience preferred
- At least one year food & beverage experience preferred
- Must be a United States citizen or possess a valid work permit
- Must have complete understanding of the fundamentals of the culinary operation
- Must be able to accurately follow instructions, both verbally and written
- Must be able to work with an around kitchen equipment
- Must provide own culinary knives
- Must be able to work with and around a diverse group of food, seasonings, etc.
- Must possesses excellent communication skills
- Must be professional in appearance and demeanor
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment
- Must have excellent listening skills
- Must always ensure a teamwork environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Must have the ability to deal effectively and interact well with the guests and associates
- Must have the ability to resolve problems/conflicts in a diplomatic and tactful manner
- Must have a passion for creating an exceptional experience for all guests
- Food handling certificate.
- Knowledge of food cost controls.
- Previously worked with all products and food ingredients.
- Operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
- Plan and develop menus and recipes.
- Expand and condense recipes.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- Ability to ascertain departmental training needs and provide such training.
- Ability to direct performance of staff and follow up with corrections when needed.
- While primarily an indoor job, must be able to work at outdoor locations on occasion, walking on uneven surfaces;
- Must be able to work in either hot or cold conditions
- Must be able to stand on feet and walk throughout the day
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50+ lbs. & occasionally lift, carry, push & pull up to 75 lbs;
- Must be able to perform simple grasping, fine manipulation, reaching and repetitive hand & arm movements constantly; squeezing and overhead reaching occasionally
- Must be able to twist and bend frequently, and squat occasionally
What are we looking for?
Benchmark Hospitality is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.