Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Responsible for Hadoop and Big-Data development, operations and maintenance. Responsible for implementing Hadoop based analytics and reporting solutions including loading from disparate data sets, preprocessing using MapReduce, Hive and Pig or similar technologies.
A professional at this position level within Optum has the following responsibilities: Scopes and delivers various Big Data solutions. Designs solutions independently based on high-level architecture. Manages the technical communication between the survey vendor and internal systems. Maintains the production systems (Kafka, Hadoop, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch) while testing changes in the lower environments. Collaborates with other development, analysis and research teams.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within United States as you take on some tough challenges.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet business requirements
- Identify, design and implement internal process improvements, automate manual processes, optimize data delivery, and propose re-designing of infrastructure as appropriate to achieve scalability and cost reduction
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies
- Build and/or maintain analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics
- Work collaboratively with management, client and stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data reporting needs
- Ensure that data is maintained and secured keeping in mind the ‘least-privilege’ security principle for teams’ access to it
- Support the technical teams to design, develop, test and implement cost-effective strategies for assimilating and reporting of data
- Identify risks and form contingency plans as soon as possible
- Analyze existing operations and schedule training sessions and meetings to discuss improvements
- Support the testing and auditing team members to ensure quality checks involved in reporting of sensitive data
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends and developments
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Math, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience as a Big Data Engineer or similar role
- 3+ years of experience programming in a backend language (Java, J2EE, Kafka, Spark, etc.)
- 2+ years of experience with Data Analytics and Reporting
- Advanced working SQL and No-SQL knowledge and experience working with a variety of databases (MySQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, MongoDB, etc.)
- Experience with Spark, or the Hadoop ecosystem and similar frameworks
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Familiarity with various cloud technologies such as AWS (EMR, RDS, Redshift, etc.) and Azure
- Creative and innovative approach to problem-solving and attention to detail
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Experience working with the Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Experience working in CMMI Level 3 (or higher) environments
- Confident and proactive self-starter, skilled in taking initiative, assessing requirements, coming up with plans, and taking the lead in making plans reality
- Demonstrate a high degree of adaptability, comfortable in establishing new directions, managing rapid change, and trying different approaches to deal with uncharted territories
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive, productive relationships with colleagues, managers, external stakeholders and client
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to coordinate teamwork and collaborate with management and stakeholders
- Comfortable and experienced operating in an outcome oriented environment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $79,700 to $142,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Data Engineer, Backend Engineer, Data Pipeline, Data Architecture, Big Data Engineer, Mapreduce, Spark, Apache Hbase, Hbase, Scala, Hive, Python, Shell Scripting, Big Data, Hadoop, Backend, Java, J2EE, Kafka, Spark, Data Analytics, No-SQL, SQL, MySQL, Mongodb, AWS, Azure, Data Pipeline Architecture, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote, WAH, Baltimore, MD, Maryland, Washington, DC, District Of Columbia, Virginia Beach, VA, Virginia