Job Title: | Education Coordinator
Department: | Education
Reports To: | Director of Education
FLSA Status: | Part-Time
The Tobin Center opened in September of 2014 and has transformed performing arts in San Antonio delivering a world-class venue and world-class performances for all. The Tobin Center strives to excite all ages, cultures, lifestyles and income levels with performances by many different artists in a wide variety of genres.
The Tobin Center for the Performing Arts mission is to provide state-of-the-art facilities and services in support of its major tenants: San Antonio Symphony, Ballet San Antonio, Opera San Antonio, Chamber Orchestra of San Antonio, Classical Music Institute, Youth Orchestra of San Antonio, and Children's Chorus of San Antonio. To be self-supporting, The Tobin Center will also present commercial programming and rent facilities to for-profit organizations. In addition to hosting publicly ticketed events, the Tobin Center plays host to a number of private events, including galas, dinners, dance parties, weddings, and corporate buyouts.
The Generation NEXT Education Initiative, the educational branch of The Tobin Center provides access to the arts and arts education for the community. We remove barriers to arts participation by providing a diverse range of free cultural, educational, and artistic experiences to more than 93,000 annually. We are active in the following areas: Sensory Friendly performances, artist interactions, educational extensions to existing programming, school time performances, supplying Arts teachers for SAISD, building tours, free community programs, and teacher professional development across Bexar County. Implementing a strong arts education program is a major initiative of the Tobin Center with a focus on strengthening arts opportunities for youth and the underserved in our community. Specifically, GenNEXT is a leader in Arts Integration, providing professional development to teachers in how to access the power of the Arts to teach curriculum. Through our partnership with the Kennedy Center and our Affiliation with Wolf Trap, we bring only the highest quality of Arts Integration training for San Antonio teachers.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Education, the Education Coordinator will be responsible for assisting with the logistics of arts education programs as part of the Generation NEXT Education Initiative. This part time position will focus upon the partnership with SAISD, specifically Contract Service Instructor and Contract Service Provider programs, and coordinating communication between the served campuses, SAISD Fine Arts, and the Tobin Center. This includes recruitment and onboarding of local artists into the programs, maintaining records (enrollment, scheduling, and other statistics used for program growth), monthly invoicing, coordinating payment to the contracted artists, and tracking payment from SAISD. This is a spreadsheet and math intensive position and an initial project will be redesigning the onboarding and invoicing system for SAISD. This position features a flexible schedule and offers the opportunity to gain a unique blend of education and management experience as well as an insider's perspective into the inner workings of a world-class performing arts venue.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Monthly invoicing, coordinating payment to the contracted artists, invoicing and tracking payment from SAISD.
- Recruitment and onboarding of local artists into the programs, maintaining GenNEXT documentation for campus instructors and district personnel.
- Development of positive professional relationships with SAISD, SAISD Fine Arts, campus administration, and local artists, all in service of the students of SAISD.
- Maintenance of records, including tracking class enrollment, scheduling, and other program statistics.
- Be knowledgeable of the policies, procedures, and events at The Tobin Center.
- Maintain a polished and professional presence, both in appearance and demeanor.
- Be available to work a flexible schedule that may include a small number of weekends, evenings, or holidays. The Education Coordinator will not work in excess of 25 hours per week. The schedule will be set monthly and any adjustments to the schedule will be coordinated in advance.
- Contribute to the Education department in a manner that supports excellent customer service, safety, and high quality of work.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's or Associate's Degree and two or more years of related work experience.
- Proficient with using technology, including web-based applications, Word, Excel, and Google Docs.
- Experience in public education and a knowledge of performing arts are strongly preferred.
- Customer service experience desired (guest services, volunteer services, or event management).
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively and to meet deadlines on a consistent schedule.
- Capable of making decisions and following through; is a strategic thinker and problem solver.
- Possess high standards of integrity, credibility, and reliability.
- Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances on behalf of The Tobin Center.
- Attention to detail.
- Valid driver's license.
- Background check and drug screening.
- Physical requirements: ability to navigate steps and stairs. Some bending, stretching, and lifting up to 25 pounds.