JOB SUMMARY: Inspects grounds, buildings and other infrastructure to detect fire hazards in order to protect life and property on client site. Acts to enforce client safety standards and local regulations. May perform other inspection and safety duties. May perform other security services as required for the site.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Duties include essential function of safety inspection as designated by client contract. May be assigned a service grade or rank in a chain of command in conformance with contract requirements or to facilitate the delivery of service, according to business necessity.
- The functions listed describe the business purpose of this job. Specific duties or tasks may vary and be documented separately. The employee might not be required to perform all functions listed. Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified, according to business necessity.
- All assigned duties or tasks are deemed to be part of the essential functions, unless such duties or tasks are unrelated to the functions listed, in which case they are deemed to be other (non-essential) functions.
- Employees are held accountable for successful job performance. Job performance standards may be documented separately, and may include functions, objectives, duties or tasks not specifically listed herein.
- In performing functions, duties or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices, and to be aware of company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. Employees are required to notify superiors upon becoming aware of unsafe working conditions.
- All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in conformance with applicable company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
1. Inspects interiors and exteriors of buildings, grounds, and infrastructure to detect hazardous conditions or violations of fire standards.
2. Tests and cleans equipment, such as air compressors, fire extinguishers and other fire protection devices to ensure conformance to fire and safety standards.
3. Discusses violations and unsafe conditions with site representative; makes recommendations, and provides instruction in fire safety practices.
4. As authorized, issues permits and acts to enforce site fire protection standards.
5. Prepares reports, such as inspections performed, standard violations, and recommendations for eliminating fire hazards.
6. May be called upon to perform fire-fighting duties during emergencies.
7. May train others in fire emergency response plans.
8. May investigate and gather facts to determine cause of fires and explosions.
9. May perform other inspection and safety duties as required for the site(s).
10. May perform additional security services functions as permitted under any required Security Officer license and as specified for the assigned site(s), in addition to Fire Inspector duties.
11. Carries out specific tasks and duties of a similar nature and scope as required for assigned site(s).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT ENTRY
Additional qualifications may be specified and receive preference, depending upon the nature of the position.
MINIMUM HIRING STANDARDS:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a reliable means of communication (i.e., pager or phone).
- Must have a reliable means of transportation (public or private).
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
- Must have the ability to speak, read, and write English.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED. If not, must be willing to complete the GED program within six months.
- Must be willing to participate in the Company's pre-employment screening process, including drug screen and background investigation.
Education/Experience: High School Diploma or G.E.D.; related experience preferred.
Competencies (as demonstrated through experience, training, and/or testing):
- Must be able to meet and continue to meet any applicable state, county and municipal licensing requirements for Fire Inspectors.
- May be required to meet and continue to meet any applicable state, county and municipal licensing requirements for Security Officers if performing functions within the scope of such requirements.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn fire inspection operations and procedures.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
- Ability to be an effective team member.
- Ability to maintain professional composure when dealing with unusual circumstances.
- Courteous telephone manner.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the external environment and organization.
- Ability to write routine correspondence, including logs and reports.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to provide high quality customer service.
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively at various social levels and across diverse cultures.
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands):
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Maintaining composure in dealing with authorities, executives, clients, staff and the public, occasionally under conditions of urgency and in pressure situations.
- May be exposed to stressful situations.
- Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey, in addition to any mandatory licensing requirements.
- May be required to work overtime without advance notice.
- Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Keyboarding, basic computer usage and operating controls.
- Regular talking and hearing.
- Occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling.
- Frequent lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 75 pounds.
- Close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- May be required to use vehicle for the performance of duties.
- On occasion may be required to perform stressful and physical activity.
- Frequent standing and walking, which may be required for long periods of time, and may involve climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven terrain.
- May be exposed to or required to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Depending upon assignment may be exposed to inclement weather or be required to work in environments or under conditions that require the use of protective gear and devices and/or awareness of personal safety and safety of others, including potential exposure to hazardous conditions including open flame and smoke if called upon to assist with emergency fire-fighting.
Please apply using Chrome, Safari, or Firefox.