Circle K is seeking a talented labor and employment law paralegal who can apply discerning judgment and provide legal and administrative support to the Head of Legal Affairs, Labor and Employment, USA. The paralegal will assist with all employment pre-litigated and litigated matters along with supporting the Company's labor and employment compliance efforts in the United States. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, organized, detail oriented, proactive, and committed to assisting us meet all of the Company's labor and employment litigation and compliance needs.
- Assist counsel with a broad spectrum of employment law matters including, but not limited to: recruitment and hiring; compensation and benefits; employee relations; wage and hour matters; performance management; leaves of absence and accommodation; ADA matters; workplace safety; discrimination and harassment; government audits; compliance; internal investigations; and discipline and termination of employment.
- Perform research and analyze statutes, case law, authoritative guidance, evolving best practices, and other legal resources to assist counsel.
- Assist counsel in drafting, reviewing, finalizing, and maintaining template documents and policies for employment matters that arise (e.g., employment policies and procedures, Severance Agreements, disciplinary and investigation procedures, associate handbooks, etc.).
- Under the supervision of counsel, manage demand letters and administrative agency complaints, including collecting information, conducting interviews, investigating and drafting written responses.
- Assist counsel with all phases of employment litigation, coordinate with internal stakeholders and external counsel, and prepare reports on an ad hoc basis.
- Review file materials and conduct fact-finding to identify key witnesses and documents necessary to draft and issue litigation holds.
- Collect personnel, pay, policy, timekeeping, training, performance, leave of absence, and other employment-related Company records for discovery responses.
- Assist in proactively researching labor and employment laws and keeping abreast with new trends in the HR field and effectively relay findings to counsel.
- Assist in creating client alerts and maintaining SharePoint site.
- Support outside counsel engagement and ensure efficient usage in accordance with internal policies, including legal invoice processing, submission of employment law claims, etc.
- Prepare and maintain tracking/log reports related to specific labor and employment matters.
- Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Paralegal Studies/Education from an ABA approved program or a Bachelor's degree with a Paralegal Studies Certificate from an ABA approved program or significant paralegal experience required.
- Minimum of six to eight (6 - 8) years of paralegal experience, specifically in labor and employment law area of practice.
- Experience working in a large law firm or in-house legal department.
- Must have extensive knowledge of federal, state, and municipal labor and employment laws/regulations, with proven working knowledge of discrimination, harassment, wage and hour, and compliance, including familiarity with applicable Agencies.
- Familiarity with drafting employment policies and Statements of Position along with knowledge of HR terminology and principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to quickly troubleshoot issues and provide solutions.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a team environment, take ownership of projects, and demonstrate independence needed to effectively and timely complete projects.
- Extremely organized, strong ability to focus on details, demonstrate accuracy, maintain a high level of confidentiality, and excellent time management skills.
- Adaptable to changing priorities and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high output environment.
- Committed to his or her personal growth and development by actively seeking feedback and responding with action.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software products including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
Circle K is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Company complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (the ADA) and all state and local disability laws. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the ADA and certain state or local laws as long as it does not impose an undue hardship on the Company. Please inform the Company's Human Resources Representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Click below to review information about our company's use of the federal E-Verify program to check work eligibility: