Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Unified Search Team at Optum is working to bring industry-leading search technology and user experiences to tens of millions of healthcare consumers and providers. We are looking for a Principal Engineer to collaborate with teams and lines of business across the Optum/United Healthcare enterprise to integrate their data into the expanding Unified Search Platform. Reporting to the Vp of Engineering, they will partner closely with Science, Platform and Product teams and collaborate with numerous stakeholders across the business.
We are forming a geographically distributed but cohesive and high-performing team of inquiring minds; we plan our teamwork around flexible schedules and other personal needs. You will be part of a group of innovators who will help drive the change for healthcare consumers.
We are looking for a seasoned software engineer or data scientist who is interested in working on complex problems related to search technology in healthcare. This individual should be able to take the lead on projects that may require the coordination of several internal teams to implement. We expect this leader to contribute to the design of our search data platform, collaborate with other platform leaders to create efficient solutions and deliver state-of-art production systems that are easy to maintain. After a period of learning, you may gravitate toward our ingestion platform or concentrate on search engine indexing and move toward ranking and relevance research.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Participating in the engineering life-cycle, including designing high-quality ML infrastructure and data pipelines, writing production code, conducting code reviews, and working alongside our infrastructure and reliability teams
- Understand, connect, and synthesize data to operate in ambiguity. Lead the way to an innovative solution.
- Design and create environments for data scientists to build models and manipulate data
- Work within client systems to extract data and place it within an analytical environment
- Learn and understand customer technology environments and systems
- Be part of the team that defines our deployment approach and infrastructure for models and be responsible for ensuring that businesses can use the models we develop
- Create operational testing strategies, validate and test the model in QA, and ensure the quality of the delivered product
An ideal candidate will have some of the following:
- You are self motivated and curious; you have an interest in working with complex data
- You are interested in building new mechanism for different data domains
- You have built robust feature extraction and ML training pipelines and have a keen eye for where to automate (e.g. Argo, Airflow)
- You have done prototype-to-production development of ML models. You care about improving training performance by researching into latest algorithms. You also value scaling inferences by utilizing CPU/GPU resources in parallelized fashion and have a strong foundation in data structures and optimization algorithms
- You are knowledgeable in classic machine learning algorithms (SVM, Random Forest, Naive Bayes, KNN etc). Good understanding of bias/variance trade-off, regularization, dimension reduction
- You have some experience in modern deep learning techniques via packages such as Keras/TensorFlow/PyTorch
- You care about data generating processes, not just modeling them, but understanding the actual human and computational behavior from which data emerges
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or a related field
- 3+ years experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Software Engineer, Data Engineer or Data Scientist
- 3+ years of experience working with Python, Scala or Java
- 1+ years of experience writing SQL to debug, and optimize distributed SQL queries
- Software engineering fundamentals: version control systems (i.e. Git, Github) and workflows, and ability to write production-ready code; an eye for quality/performance measures
- Fluency in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Scala) and are comfortable developing code within a team environment
- Experience deploying data science models in a production setting
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, or some other containerization technology
- Experience building robust data pipelines using a variety of data sources, programming languages, and toolsets
- Experience presenting and communicating to internal and external customers/clients/stakeholders
- A Master's or other advanced degrees in data science or a related field
- Hands-on experience with one or more ecosystem technologies (e.g., HBase, Solr, ElasticSearch, Databricks, Snowflake, AWS/Azure/GCP)
- Hands-on experience in one or more big data ecosystem products/languages such as Spark and Kafka
- Experience working within operating systems (e.g., Linux) and storage systems (e.g., Blob storage, S3, Databricks, Big Data).
- AWS SageMaker experience
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado/Connecticut/Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.