Optum, the fast-growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Serving virtually every dimension of the health system, we work with a diverse set of clients across 150 countries – from those who diagnose and treat patients to those who pay for care, deliver health services, and those who supply the cures. Optum maintains operations across North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East. Our innovative partnerships provide technology and tools that enable unprecedented collaboration and efficiency. As a result, we can tap into valuable health care data to uncover insights and develop strategies for better care at lower costs.
About the role:
As a Lead Software Engineer at Optum, in the Optum Health and Enterprise Clinical Technology division, you will be both a key hands-on contributor and a technical leader within a growing team of talented software engineers at Optum. You will be a collaborative self-starter that can take ownership and passionately drive results. You will help guide colleagues on the technical direction for the team and will support leadership in ensuring best in class agile and engineering practices are used. You will take the lead in solving technically complex problems and be comfortable providing guidance to the team and to other key stakeholders as appropriate. This role will involve managing and working with distributed, global teams with multiple stakeholders.
This role is within our Single Data Repository (SDR) team. Single Data Repository was established in 2017 is a key asset for Clinical Data persistence for several HEDIS and other UHC initiatives processing several domains of Clinical data.
Enterprise Clinical Data Hub (SDR V2) - Modernization of the Clinical data persistence and consumption layers .
• Near Real Time Ingestion via Optum Clinical Gateway FHIR bundles
• Persistence in Snowflake and Azure Cosmos Databases
• Data availability to downstreams via Snowflake views , curated streams and APIs – in the HCP Clinical Package model
• Data model infrastructure, design established in Q1 ; Admit Discharge and Transfer Data available in ECDH Near Real time in Q2
The platform is a streaming and batch processing platform using Java and Python with Kafka middleware. It is deployed via Kubernetes in Azure and on premises. The clinical data is deployed into Snowflake and Cosmos.
Join us! There's never been a better time to do your life's best work℠
Careers with Optum offer flexible work arrangements and individuals who live and work in the Republic of Ireland will have the opportunity to split their monthly work hours between our Dublin or Letterkenny office and telecommuting from a home-based office.
- Design and implement product features in collaboration with business and IT stakeholders
- Design and develop CICD framework for Azure to build, and deploy different data platform assets
- Design reusable components, frameworks and libraries
- Work very closely with architecture groups and drive solutions
- Participate in an Agile/Scrum methodology to deliver high-quality software releases through Sprints
- Review code and provide feedback relative to best practices and improving performance
- Troubleshoot production support issues post-deployment and come up with solutions as required
- Mentor and guide other software engineers within the team
You will be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role, as well as providing development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Proven Software Engineering experience with development skills using Java with Spring
- Proven experience performing CICD with Jenkins, Terraform, GitHub, Containerization
- Experience working in Azure cloud platforms (Azure Gen2, Azure API Gateway, Azure Function, Azure Kubernetes Services)
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Strong desire to learn about new trends and technologies
- Ability to work a portion of monthly work hours from our Dublin or Letterkenny office is required
- Proven experience developing and testing REST API in Java
- Experience working in cloud environment
- Proven experience working with core SQL, JSON and No SQL databases
- Strong experience in automating build processes, application deployments and continuous integration systems.
- Experience in object-oriented design and implementation
- Solid understanding of formal architecture, design patterns and best practices
- Experience in the health care industry
- Experience in HL7/FHIR resources
- Experience delivering software using an Agile/Scrum methodology
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.
All telecommuters will be required to adhere to the UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.