Purpose of Job
The Risk Management Executive will lead the Risk Appetite and Key Risk Indicator, Risk Inventory, Risk Assessment and Risk Profile teams for the Enterprise Risk organization. The Executive ensures that risks are being proactively and effectively identified, assessed, mitigated, monitored, and reported to the Enterprise senior leadership. Ensures the business team adheres to the USAA’s Enterprise Risk Framework and Procedures as well as Enterprise Risk Guidelines. The Executive serves as key advisor responsible for recognizing and reporting strategic and aggregate risks across the business while advancing the Enterprise Risk Management function for aggregation, quantification, and qualification of risks. The Executive will have exposure to boards and members of executive council and will be responsible for the aggregation and reporting of risks to senior leadership, in addition to working with those same individuals to effectively assess and influence business decisions and direction. Partners with other officers within the Enterprise Risk and Compliance organization to influence and set strategy for advancement of the risk management framework. In doing so, this individual will set direction for a multitude of risk management programs and oversee the delivery of those programs across the line of business.
- Serves as a key advisor engaging in senior leaders’ strategy discussions, real-time evaluations of risks, and effective challenge to ensure safety and soundness of the business and accomplishment of objectives.
- Establishes an outstanding Risk Management framework to ensure comprehensive oversight and management of risks across the full risk taxonomy.
- Ensures the risk aligns within appetites tolerances and strategic goals, product plans, forecasts, and adjusts to variances.
- Leads a team of employees dedicated to handling risk and overall strategy, in alignment with a strong effective risk governance and oversight.
- Sets the agenda, builds diverse impactful teams, and sells the vision. Ensures training and coaching of employees and provides the team with development opportunities.
- Establishes a long-term view of how risk systems should be adapted and integrated to enhance the ability to lead risk in an environment shaped by regulatory change and innovative, emerging technologies.
- Ensures effective and appropriate policies, procedures, and controls are in place supporting all risk processes, systems, strategies, and implementations.
- Establishes trust and rapport with senior business leaders to sustain oversight of the second line risk role.
- Partners with the senior risk executives in managing overall risk appetite to include the identification and definition of key methods, metrics, and limits.
- Partners across Risk Management, Finance, and the business while effectively challenging variances to plan and strategies to mitigate.
- Provides advice to other key business partners and drive key decisions assessing risk and reward through effective challenge.
- Effectively engages line of business leaders to ensure all risks are appropriately addressed consistent with policy and the Risk Appetite.
- Interacts & engages with all product & channel leaders on sophisticated, multi-product processes and procedures while factoring in all legal & regulatory requirements.
- Liaises with Compliance and CLO on legal & regulatory considerations that impact business operations and product offerings in accordance with federal and state regulations.
- Liaises with Compliance and CLO to influence sound governance structure for oversight of risks and business operations.
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant discipline OR 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 10+ years of relevant experience at a large financial institution developing and implementing an enterprise-wide risk management program that adheres to regulatory requirements and expectations
- 6+ years of people leadership experience in building, managing and/or developing impactful teams.
- In-depth knowledge of risk frameworks including risk governance; risk appetite; process, risk and control analysis; control effectiveness measurement; risk management coverage plan (monitoring, assessment and testing).
- Proven ability to influence at senior levels within an organization.
- Proven capability to communicate effectively across the 1st and 2nd Lines of Defense and build collaborative relationships.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex analyses to a non-technical audience.
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Deep experience leading enterprise-wide risk appetite, risk inventory, assessment and profile programs
- Strong risk reporting and aggregation experience.
- Subject matter expert in the aggregation across all risk categories.
- Demonstrated accomplishments using diplomacy to influence and drive change across multiple stakeholders with competing priorities.
- Deep understanding of multiple state and federal banking and insurance regulatory expectations.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $205,500 - $370, 100.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Long Term Incentive Plan: Cash payment for Executive level roles only, representing a cash payment which is both time and performance based.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.