Who We Are:
Pharmaceuticals and Bioengineering Department in the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Division at Southwest Research Institute is a team dedicated to synthetic organic chemistry and computational drug discovery.
Objectives of this Role:
- Collaborate with current Pharmaceuticals and Bioengineering staff to conduct technical project work in the area of drug discovery, organic chemistry, and pharmaceuticals.
- Will be responsible for conducting laboratory and computational project work in numerous disease states to satisfy government, academic, and industry clients.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities:
- Develop and apply synthetic chemistry techniques to produce novel chemical substances.
- Utilize computational chemistry techniques and docking program results to inform and guide projects in medicinal chemistry, drug discovery, and virtual high throughput screening.
- Present project results to clients and at scientific meetings, workshops, and conferences, and publish results in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Requires a Bachelors with a 3.00 GPA in Chemistry
- 1 year experience in synthetic organic chemistry includes designing and executing experiments to synthesize novel chemical substances, as well as designing synthetic routes. Knowledge in the purification, identification, and characterization of chemical substances using TLC, LC-MS, NMR
- Experience in computational drug discovery includes designing and executing protein-ligand docking experiments and analysis of docking scores (binding affinity) and docking poses (docking orientation).
- Requires knowledge of drug design, computer-aided drug design, and physicochemical properties (PCP) of potential drug candidates to suit project-specific needs of clients.
- Must have experience with either chemical software development (C, C++), molecular dynamics simulations, high-performance computers and clusters, or molecular docking programs for drug discovery.
- A valid/clear driver's license is required
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
Job Locations: San Antonio, Texas
For more information about this division, visit the Chemistry & Chemical Engineering home page.
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disabled/Veteran
Committed to Diversity in the Workplace