Location Name: San Antonio, TX
Job/Requisition ID: [[id]]
Location Address: 19100 Ridgewood Park, San Antonio, TX, United States (US), 78259
Education Level: J.D. Required
Relevant Experience Level: Mid Career (4-10 Years)
Employee Group: Regular - Full Time
Employee Subgroup: Salaried Exempt
Member of the in-house legal team responsible for supporting the Company in day-to-day operational and transactional matters, including a primary focus on commercial intellectual property strategy development, risk mitigation and asset protection. Will serve as the primary point-of-contact for intellectual property matters across the Company’s global operations and business units. Additional responsibilities include support of M&A transactions, refining technology and other business unit licensing and commercial transactions and Company trademarks and trade secrets.
- San Antonio, TX
- Findlay, OH
- Patent Strategy Development. Support the Company’s business units in defining and executing practical patent strategies aimed at supporting long-term business objectives, both commercial and defensive. Work creatively and proactively with the Company’s business units to identify potentially patentable inventions. Manage outside counsel in drafting and prosecuting patent applications and function as the liaison between outside counsel and internal stakeholders.
- Patent Risk Identification and Mitigation. Assist the Company’s business units with identifying patent-related risks with respect to Company activities, operations and products and provide practical, business-minded options to mitigate such risks. Monitor patent-filing activity of key competitors and provide guidance to the Company's business units regarding patents and applications of interest.
- Trademark Portfolio Management. Work with the Company’s Marketing and Corporate Affairs teams to provide legal guidance on existing and proposed trademarks. With the assistance of outside counsel as needed, ensure proposed trademarks are free-to-use and available for protection. With the support of a paralegal, review product offerings, advertising materials, literature and promotional content to ensure proper trademark usage and avoidance of third-party rights.
- Intellectual Property Subject Matter Expert. Actively serve as the legal team’s in-house intellectual property expert, assisting with defining, reviewing and maintaining intellectual property-related corporate policies, procedures and best practices, guiding invention and trademark-related committees and developing and providing preventive law training. Day-to-day transactional support will include reviewing, drafting and negotiating a variety of transactional agreements, including technology and software licenses, procurement contracts and trademark-related licenses and agreements. Maintain current understanding of US law and USPTO regulations regarding intellectual property issues affecting the Company’s business.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- JD degree from an accredited US law school; a concentration on intellectual property law or an LL.M. in intellectual property law is preferred.
- 7+ years’ experience practicing intellectual property law.
- Technical experience with the refining and midstream energy industry is preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience as in-house counsel is preferred.
- Transactional experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, particularly with a focus on intellectual property-related provisions, and intellectual property-related due diligence and transactional support associated with M&A activities.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Strong people skills
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience
- Ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Ability to provide commercial, business-minded solutions to complex legal problems
- Ability to negotiate effectively
- Ability to teach others complex subject matters
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation is a leading, integrated, downstream energy company headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company operates the nation’s largest refining system with more than 3 million barrels per day of crude oil capacity across 16 refineries. Marathon Petroleum's marketing system includes branded locations across the United States, including Marathon branded outlets. Speedway LLC, a Marathon Petroleum subsidiary, owns and operates retail convenience stores across the United States. MPC also owns the general partner and majority limited partner interest in MPLX LP, a midstream company which owns and operates gathering, processing, and fractionation assets, as well as crude oil and light product transportation and logistics infrastructure.
Travel Expected: None
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, click here.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability
Marathon Petroleum Company LP participates in the E-Verify program in some states in which it operates (including AL, AZ, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, and UT). For more information before proceeding, please see details in English or Spanish. Right to Work Statement English or Spanish.
To view benefit information for Marathon Petroleum Corporation please visit mympcbenefits.com.