This is a 100% fully remote role. Work virtually from anywhere in the U.S.
About the company
Office Depot is a brand you've counted on since 1986 for your office supplies and business services, supported by a strong retail network and world-class technology platforms. As the business landscape continues to evolve, we are changing the way we look at our technology platforms to drive significant change in the way we do business. We're reinventing ourselves and making significant investments in our multi-billion-dollar digital platforms to drive growth in our range of B2B products & services. Apply today to be a part of this revolutionary change!
About the Role
In this role, you will be responsible for all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle for a fast-paced agile development team, leveraging enterprise Java to deliver continuous enhancements for scalable, high-performance Supply Chain and Logistics platforms. You will be responsible for hiring, coaching, and managing engineering teams for one or more products consisting of 5 or more software engineers and product managers.
- Partners with product managers, technical architects, business owners, site Operators, testing and other Software Development teams.
- Assesses the business and organization implications of key application technology alternatives for wide-impact initiatives; Mapping requirement to a software solution in accordance with the overall architecture of the system; recommend appropriate strategic action
- Guides the development team in overall application technology design activities; Grow the development team in terms of knowledge and understanding of the systems and best practices in software development practices. Overarching people management responsibilities include hiring, goal setting, performance management, coaching, and training & development. Fosters growth and skill acquisition.
- Work closely with business partners and customers to understand their needs and provide appropriate solutions. Responsible for project estimation and put together execution and implementation plans
- Manage project timelines and budget, responsible for application/system, including scopes, timelines, dependencies and deliverables; Assign work to resources and responsible for the allocation and movement of resources from project to project. Work with the team in the follow-up of the execution of the project
- Participate in technical design review meetings that held across different time zones
- Be the point person for escalations and serve as the domain expert of the application/system. This is essential for on-call situations and escalations, as well as knowing the functionality and constraints of the system when defining product specifications
Education & Experience
Level of Formal Education: BS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering,
Years of Experience: Minimum 10 years’ experience in the related field
Type of Experience:
- Minimum 5+ years of software engineering management experience
- Minimum 7+ years in software development experience in increasing roles of technical leadership
- Experience working with Routing and Delivery software applications is a plus.
- Overall knowledge in Supply Chain and Logistics Operations is an asset.
- Communication skills, collaboration skills, presentation skills and technical leadership skills
- Technical Competencies: Comprehensive SDLC experience including:
- Strong design skills – use of UML, patterns, OOA/OOD
- Agile implementation principles and practices, such as Scrum
- Testing frameworks such as Selenium
- Production environment deployment and maintenance
Skills and Ability:
A solid command of these skills will allow you to be successful in this role:
- Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills; regularly required to make presentations to stakeholders, and must clearly present, articulate, and defend research findings, design decisions, and formulated strategies to the stakeholders in a way that they can relate to and easily understand.
- Interpersonal/People Skills: ability to facilitate smooth collaboration and relations necessary to be successful in this role; not troubled by complications, disagreements, and unnecessary delays. Ability to build trust among team members and convince people to follow him/her. Effective presentation skills. Exceptional relationship-building skills required
- Leadership Qualities: Ability to continuously drive results, display a high level of confidence not just in self but in other people as well, inspire and motivate team performance. Demonstrate an ability to navigate complex situations and tasks with calmness and composure, setting an example for others. Ability to identify, attract, and develop team talent. Have demonstrated a history of managing software development teams, especially managing e-commerce projects and using new technologies based on business needs
- Mentorship skills: Present solutions to large groups of technical staff. Maintain an appropriate level of technical documentation. Evangelize best practices and processes, mentor other engineers, and evaluate and recommend technologies to the teams. Foster collaboration.
- Have demonstrated a history of managing software development teams, especially managing e-commerce projects and using new technologies based on business needs
- Exceptional business case analysis, planning, project management, and presentation skills
- Prior track record in building software development teams
- Experience with high-volume/high transaction applications
- Expert problem solver, experience in process improvement
- Persuade/influence team members, sell ideas effectively, get results and follow-through
- Strong decision-making skills, and an understanding of where projects fit into the development strategy
- Demonstrate integrity and maturity, and a constructive approach to challenges
- Operate independently given direction, set direction, and bring ideas and solutions to issues raised.
- Works well in a team environment or individually, with a positive attitude.
- Superior communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
Benefits and Perks
- Discounts on Office-Depot/Microsoft/Apple’s products and services
- Auto, Home, and Pet Insurance
- Medical / dental / vision, AD&D, and Life Insurance
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Health Saving Account (HSA)
- Long Term Disability and Short-Term Disability
- 401(k) matching program
- Retirement Savings Plan Rollovers
- Banking Services
- Military Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Regular pay for Funeral/Memorial Service Observance
- Opportunity for professional growth and career advancement
- 100% permanent remote work in any states of United States
The company is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in all employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, age, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records City & County of San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.