If you're passionate about being part of a diverse organization that enables a Fortune 100 company to deliver innovative business solutions with excellence, then Nationwide's Legal team could be the place for you!
Insurance Defense Litigation experience preferred. Commercial and Trucking Litigation also preferred.
This position will be in office (hybrid) or remote depending on location.
Job Description Summary
Would you thrive in an environment where you can deliver top-quality legal services to support the goals and objectives of a Fortune 100 insurance and financial services company? If you possess the communication skills, analytical ability and paralegal skills needed to provide outstanding service, advice and counsel, we want to hear from you!
As a Senior Paralegal, you'll complete a variety of complex, legal-related tasks with little supervision. We'll count on you to provide assistance and support to the legal staff in the development, research, management and resolution of legal issues. You'll have opportunities to prepare and draft moderately complicated legal documents, agreements and pleadings related to litigated and non-litigated matters.
* Provides broad-based legal support services to attorneys and counsel in the form of research, drafting of legal and business communications, and internal systems support and maintenance.
* Conducts legal research, analyzes and compiles data from multiple sources, including online sites, digests and practice manuals, among others. Researches statutes, regulations and court decisions. Prepares summaries and recommends resolutions to legal questions.
* Drafts correspondence, contracts, patent applications, resolutions and other legal documents.
* Drafts moderately complex depositions, outlines/questions, motions, pleadings, subpoenas, orders and briefs.
* Analyzes and evaluates records and data for discovery. Drafts recommendations and correspondence to clients, claims attorneys and customers with regard to discovery and legal matters.
* May develop and maintains information databases. Builds new processes for data maintenance, storage and retrieval.
* May conduct and evaluate open and closed paralegal file audits and advise attorneys and management of audit results, making improvement recommendations.
* Knows and applies the concepts, practices and procedures for a particular field of specialization. Maintains currency in both business and legal professional proficiencies.
* Supports litigation by collecting information for interrogatories and/or regulatory requests and responding to requests for documentation, depending on area of specialty.
May perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Counsel/Paralegal Supervisor.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Undergraduate studies in business administration, insurance or other related area preferred.
License/Certification/Designation: Certification in paralegal studies preferred.
Experience: Typically, five or more years of experience as a paralegal with proven performance.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: In-depth knowledge of paralegal concepts, procedures and practices. Demonstrated knowledge in operations, practices and procedures of general counsel or civil litigation. Proven knowledge of filing requirements of relevant courts and administrative agencies. Knowledge in legal research and complex deposition motion practices, as well as appellate procedures required.
Strong analytical, research and organizational skills. Ability to set work priorities that conform with established standards. Capacity to coordinate projects with minimal direction. Ability to give presentations in formal and informal settings. Ability to build and maintain filing systems. Strong verbal and written skills. Ability to operate a computer and related legal and business software and databases.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the Officer, Managing Counsel and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values.
Overtime Eligibility: Eligible (Non Exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment, Occasional travel. Non-standard or extended work may be required based on project needs.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to performs a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit/Background Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities for this role, a valid credit and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
We have an array of benefits to fit your needs, including: medical/dental, paid time off plus nine paid holidays, 401(k) with company match, company-paid pension plan, business casual attire, and more. To learn more about the benefits we offer, click here.
Nationwide is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels challenged, appreciated, respected and engaged. Nationwide prohibits discrimination and harassment and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to any characteristic (or classification) protected by applicable law.