The Tobin Center for the Performing Arts is searching for a Vice-President of Programming.
The Tobin Center is a well-run, highly successful organization with a mission to serve as San Antonio's cultural arts center, driving meaningful change in the community through the arts by providing world class entertainment in state-of-the-art facilities, supporting the work of local performing arts organizations, and ensuring inclusive and accessible arts education and outreach programs to San Antonio's diverse population. The Tobin Center is a 501c3 charitable organization.
To fulfill its mission, The Tobin Center established Tobin Entertainment LLC to generate additional financial support for Tobin Center programs and ensure quality arts entertainment is available to the public in performing arts centers and other venues throughout the United States.
DESCRIPTION: Situated along the banks of the San Antonio River in the heart of the city, The Tobin Center for the Performing Arts transformed arts in San Antonio. Its stunning architecture, creative interior design and lighting, exceptional acoustics, and blockbuster talent from around the world attracts widely diverse audiences from San Antonio and the region.
The remarkable flexibility of the 1,750 seat H-E-B Performance Hall, with its distinctive "flat-floor" capability, opens the door for performances and events of almost any sort. The acoustics can be "tuned" to fit the performance and the physical set-up of the performance hall; and the sound insulation throughout The Tobin Center enables simultaneous use of the Performance Hall, the Studio Theater, and the River Walk Plaza.
Audiences can see and hear performers and performances of every kind at The Tobin Center for the Performing Arts.
The Tobin Center includes three venues:
- The H-E-B Performance Hall is a 1,750-seat performance space with excellent sound capabilities, adjustable for both acoustic and amplified musical presentations. The main floor converts from traditional theater seating to a flat-floor concept capable of seating more than 600 for banquet or cabaret style events or up to 1,050 for a general admission standing-room event.
- The Carlos Alvarez Studio Theater is a 300-seat studio theater with numerous flexible-seating options and arrangements.
- The Will Naylor Smith River Walk Plaza is an exterior venue along San Antonio's River Walk that is ideal for films, concerts, and events. The plaza can accommodate seating for 600 people and includes a state-of-the-art 32-foot video wall.
Tobin Entertainment LLC., the off-site tour and promotion division of The Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, was created to generate additional financial support to drive meaningful change in San Antonio through Resident Companies, Generation Next, and diverse community outreach.
Tobin Entertainment partners with performing arts centers and other venues all over the United States to bring quality entertainment to the public. Tobin Entertainment LLC., currently operates in 70 cities in 29 states nationally.
Summary: Along with key executives, this position is pivotal in The Tobin Center's continued development into a multi-faceted, community-engaged, national entertainment enterprise. The ideal candidate is a high energy, passionate, seasoned, "roll-up-your-sleeves" event management and talent-buying professional, preferably with national experience and knowledge of current market trends and possessing entrepreneurial ambition. With senior management, this position oversees planning, development, and implementation of events at The Tobin's multiple indoor and outdoor event spaces and configurations. This role also manages Tobin Entertainment, the company's offsite booking and promotion division, as well as its events and relationships across the country. The Vice President of Programming is responsible for the overall successful management of the programming department and its staff, and the event booking, budgeting, and fulfillment process. The Vice President of Programming is a unique position because of the dual responsibility in booking for The Tobin Center and Tobin Entertainment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and guide the programming department to achievement of annual financial goals by aggressively cultivating both new and existing relationships with promoters, local arts groups, agents, managers, artists and other rental clients.
- Responsible for making offers to agents and managers as well as communicating all aspects of ticketing and marketing to those departments for proper show announcements and on sales.
- Responsible for department budget and all financial aspects of event management, including establishment of rate cards, contracting, and establishment of revenue, margin, and cash flow projections.
- Department administration including but not limited to annual budgeting, monitoring of accounts payable/receivable, personnel management, etc.
- Serve as a primary liaison to and/or collaborator with multiple departments and venues.
- Create new opportunities for Tobin Entertainment by building partnerships with other promoters and buildings as well as by expanding into new markets.
- Work with agents, buildings, and promoters to create tours and presenting partnerships across the country for Tobin Entertainment.
- Oversee the partnerships and booking activity with Real Life Amphitheater and The Tech Port Arena.
- Serve as one of The Tobin's representatives to the industry by attending appropriate conferences and meetings.
- Maintain excellent working relationships both internally (other departments and venues, board, donors, etc.) and externally (industry leaders).
- Guide and develop strategies at The Tobin Center as part of the senior management team.
The Community San Antonio is the second largest city in Texas, after Houston. Located in Bexar County, it has a population of 1.3 million people. It's the home of The Alamo, the River Walk, and the NBA's San Antonio Spurs. San Antonio is the 3rd fastest growing large city in the U.S. With steady job growth, beautiful scenery, and a booming food scene, San Antonio has established its own distinct personality.
San Antonio provides a more affordable living scene than other big cities in Texas, such as Austin or Dallas. The cost of living is 14% below the national average... and Texas has no state income tax. Furthermore, Texas gasoline prices are some of the lowest in the country.
Hot temperatures are the norm in summer months, typically reaching 90 to 100 degrees in July and August. The good news? Winters are mild. So, while your friends up north are bundled up in every piece of clothing they own from December to February, you can coast through temperatures well above freezing with a light jacket.
The city is proud of its honorable history and commitment to the military. San Antonio is home to one of the largest military bases in the country, Joint Base San Antonio, which primarily serves the Air Force. Currently, the base has four major locations that provide training, health care, education, and combat support.
San Antonio's population is diverse, with a large Hispanic concentration with an average age of 38 to support prosperous tourism industry. But that's not all it's known for...big tech and the financial industry are booming as well. And the city's Economic Development Department is growing its core industries such as Aerospace, Biosciences, advanced manufacturing, and others.
On top of all that... amazing food, fantastic arts, culture galore, the Alamo, the River Walk, and 10 days annually dedicated to a citywide party... Viva Fiesta!
Salary and Benefits: The Tobin Center offers a base salary of between $140,000 - $175,000 plus a bonus with an exceptional benefits program:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance, 100% paid by The Tobin for employees
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Bonus structure
- 401K (matching)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)