Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Capability Manager is responsible for the definition & execution of a product or group of products. Responsibilities include engaging business teams to understand their needs, articulating how the capability can solve problems, and facilitate execution team responsible for delivering solutions that result in benefits identified. Capability Managers partner with developers, architects, capability analysts, scrum masters, quality assurance, and subject matter experts to ensure business use cases and requirements are built into backlogs, are prioritized in accordance with the product roadmap, and ultimately delivered within the agreed upon scope & budget. Capability managers understand the vision of the product from the point of view of multiple customers, end users and stakeholders. As needed, Capability Managers may wear many hats on an agile scrum team, from writing features, documenting requirements, managing backlog, verifying and accepting user stories, creating process flows, creating data flows, while driving & communicating both the tactical and strategic vision.
The Capability Manager needs to be able to navigate the enterprise (UHG, Optum, UHC), build relationships, and gain a firm understanding of each of Optum’s unique business needs to be successful. They work closely with their development team and partners to ensure business needs are being delivered according to expectations. The Capability Manager, along with his/her leadership team (often, but not exclusively, a Director of Capability Management) facilitates decisions that impact the product and does so in alignment with enterprise business strategies & governance.
This particular Capability Manager position will focus on maturing and deploying a set of emerging enterprise-wide capabilities focused on intelligent Enterprise Provider Messaging Orchestration as well as critical supporting capabilities, such as Provider Interaction and/or Provider Preferences management. Provider Messaging Orchestration’s aim is to deliver the right message to the right provider at the right time through the right channel. Its aim is to enable UHG and all its supporting businesses to better personalize the communication and/or information shared with providers through smart, relevant and actionable message management across multiple channels (e.g. digital portals, mobile applications, telephonics, e-mail, chat, text, & EMRs), while learning & reacting to each providers’ preferences over time to improve patient outcomes, drive financial value, and dramatically improve Provider satisfaction / NPS. As we mature, this position requires building a deep expertise in the entire Provider data landscape available across all of UHG (e.g. issues, interactions, claims, clinical, demographics, credentialing, contracts, network) along with the critical interaction points across multiple lines of business (e.g. OptumRx, Optum Care, Optum Insight, Optum Health, United HealthCare) to ensure business rules are defined & messages are prioritized to meet multiple internal customer needs while maximizing the provider experience. A strong technical acumen will be required to work across multiple development teams, building internal proprietary technical capabilities while also working through multiple delivery channels (e.g. CRMs, Portals, Messaging services, telephonics). A strong acumen in building managed business rules, predictive data models (e.g. AI, ML), and related capaiblites is preferred but not required.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Partners with Director of Capability Management or other leaders to align personal responsibilities within a capability roadmap(s), spanning business use cases, features and user stories - Responsible for product lifecycle from development through release, product build, operational readiness, launch and post launch performance management and adoption. Often works with multiple partners throughout the product lifecycle.
- Act as liaison between an organization’s development team and end users, responsible for refining & defining the features and user stories of a product prior to its release. Builds relationships with customers to deeply understand their needs, infuses Voice of Customer throughout the product lifecycle. Partners with key subject matter experts (SMEs) to identify value add enhancements to existing capabilities.
- Partners with Business & Capability leads (Director, VP levels) to understand relative prioritization across customer experience, business requirements, technical capabilities, costs, and operational factors.
- Ensures delivery of business value aligning features created with benefits. Able to understand the link between features / user stories & business goals (e.g. OKRs, KPIs).
- Participates in technology evaluation and selection where appropriate.
- Understands & supports capability P&L, partnering with finance and business operations leaders to ensure capability roadmap meets Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) objectives. Often leads CBA deliverables in partnership with business leaders. Leverages agreed upon CBA to ensure each release / feature meets established ROI and Experience criteria.
- Responsible for making sure that there are enough features & user stories in a state of “ready” in the backlog at all times. Provides a clear description and outline of product features and user stories, establishing acceptance criteria for easy comprehension by the development team. Partners closely with the development team to establish an agile release strategy, setting deadlines for product development as well as release date for products where appropriate.
- Leads all capability planning activities (e.g. PI Planning, PMC, Sprint Planning) to ensure development team is prepared for upcoming work. Leads Sprint Reviews/Demos on behalf of senior capability leaders as well as business customers who are leveraging the product. Participates in scrum meetings, often daily, to give feedback on sprint achievement, as well as to set sprint goals and relay new user stories.
- Maintains customer feedback loop with stakeholders and SMEs concerning product release and customer opinion
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- 2+ years working on Agile software development project(s) and/or equivalent experience tracking, planning, or working on software development projects
- Experience front facing with the customer, while representing multiple technical capabilities that could apply to business needs
- Experience communicating ideas clearly and concisely to leadership (Director level) and technical teams
- Experience executing strategic and tactical direction
- Understanding of streaming capabilities (i.e. APIs, Kafka) and related data capabilities
- Ability to work with individuals with high technical acumen (e.g. development teams, architects)
- Intermediate Level Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio, OneNote, SharePoint and PowerPoint)
- Agile Product Manager and/or Scrum Mater Certification
- An understanding of UHG’s preferred enterprise applications for data management (Health Care Platform), existing communication & offer management rules engines (Communication Platform), and/or Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning capabilities
- An understanding of the U.S. provider landscape, and how an improved Provider experience can improve patient outcomes
- Experience with CA Agile (formerly known as Rally), Aha, or an equivalent agile deployment technology
- Experience with data quality, stewardship, and governance
- Experience with distributed event streaming platforms
- Experience building process flows and/or architecture design diagrams
- Customer journey mapping experience
- Experience with managed business rules, predictive data models, and / or machine learning capabilities
- Six Sigma or related process improvement experience
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The Salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The Salary range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.