Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
USMD part of OptumCare is a multi-specialty group of hospital, clinics and physicians. USMD serves the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area with more than 250 physicians and associate practitioners, and provides healthcare services to patients in more than 20 different specialties at its 2 hospitals, 4 cancer treatment centers and nearly 50 physician clinics, many of which are multi-specialty.
The Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) participates in providing patient care at the appropriate skill level. They have a duty to provide a standard of care that meets or exceeds that of a reasonably competent and knowledgeable Medical Assistant. The CMA performs duties within their scope of practice delegated by, and under the supervision of, a provider (TX) or physician (FL).
Duties include: Organizes the clinical environment and provides support in patient care situations. Support includes but is not limited to assisting physicians and nursing personnel, including those skills listed under Job Functions below along with various other procedures under the direct supervision and responsibility of a medical provider. The CMA assists in identifying patient needs or problems and communicating data to the provider or other members of the clinical team. The CMA delivers quality customer service. Ensures policy and procedures are followed including infection control, privacy and confidentiality. Completes mandatory training.
- Performs all duties within the scope of a Medical Assistant’s practice. Operates diagnostic equipment (cannot interpret tests), remove staples from superficial wounds, changes wound dressing and obtains cultures, administers non-intravenous medication, performs simple specimen collection via noninvasive techniques and collects blood specimens via venipuncture or via capillary, performs EKGs. Performs quality control checks on equipment. Prepares and sterilizes medical equipment using the autoclave
- Rooms patients according to policy and procedures, prepares patient for examination
- Records patient care documentation in the medical record accurately and in a timely manner
- Coordinates patient care as directed by physicians, company standards and policies
- Respects patient confidentiality at all times and treats patients with courtesy and respect
- Organizes exam and treatment rooms, stocks and cleans rooms and sterilizes instruments
- Practices standard infection control precautions
- Telephone and in-person screening limited to intake and gathering of information without requiring the exercise of judgment based on clinical knowledge
- Supports and follows Standard Delegation of Orders (SDO)
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Current, nationally recognized Medical Assistant certification or the ability to obtain the certification within 180 days of employment. Medical Assistants who are hired prior to receiving their certification are expected to perform at the same level as a “certified” Medical Assistant
- Current BLS certification (through an approved American Heart Association Training Center or the Military Training Network) at time of hire or within 30 days of hire
- Basic computer literacy, with intermediate Excel skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance
- 1+ years of experience as a Medical Assistant
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
- Good communication and customer service skills
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to lift, push or pull >35 lbs. with assistance
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use fine motor skills to operate equipment and/or machinery
- Ability to receive and comprehend instructions verbally and/or in writing
- Ability to use logical reasoning for simple and complex problem solving
- Occasionally requires exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids
- Ability to discriminate shades of color when reading dipstick
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with USMD. If you’re idea of a great day at work involves putting great new ideas to work, we should talk. Throughout the greater Dallas area, we’ve built an evolving, integrated health care model that brings primary care and specialist providers together to work in new and better ways. A thriving part of OptumCare and the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, our multi - specialty group of hospitals, clinics and providers features more than 250 physicians and associate practitioners. We provide health care services to patients in more than 20 different specialties at our two hospitals, four cancer treatment centers and nearly 50 physician clinics. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Certified Medical Assistant, CMA, Medical Assistant, San Antonio, TX, Texas