Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Designer – Intermediate Level for our San Antonio Home Office I facility. This position may also have the option of working remotely in the U.S.
This candidate will support the New Member portfolio that includes USAA’s home page, experiences to join and onboard the association, manage profile, and explore member benefits. The ideal candidate would be up to date in the latest human-centered design and research practices, and visual design principles. We’re responsible for taking projects from design strategy through execution working hand in hand with cross-disciplinary partners. You will be part of a highly collaborative team of designers dedicated to making to learn and supporting you in your growth.
Designer Intermediate - Contributes within high-performing, cross-organizational teams by applying knowledge and experience in the practice of human-centered design. Assists in the research, ideation, concepting, prototyping, testing, and delivery activities for moderately complex Member and Employee experiences in a data-informed, agile environment. Demonstrates the value of design by working with team members to craft, iterate, and deliver solutions that align with member needs.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.
We're proud of USAA's strong history -- and we're even more passionate about our future. That's why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And why we're continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you'll find exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and growing.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Identifies and documents business problems to help shape a solution for moderately complex cross-organizational projects.
- Contributes ideas and embed facilitates with cross-functional stakeholders during human-centered design sessions and group discussions.
- Collaborates with team members to ensure work meets agreed upon business requirements.
- With guidance, provides support during all parts of their workstream from discovery to implementation of design artifacts and prototypes.
- Supports human-centered research efforts and the synthesis of research findings in order to determine a direction that aligns with member and employee needs.
- Creates and documents design assets with guidance, leveraging competency in interaction design, visual design and/or content design.
- Participates in critiques and design reviews to offer and receive relevant and focused feedback.
- Demonstrates a foundational understanding of human-centered and service design principles and methodologies.
- Bachelor’s degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 2 years of relevant, on-the-job experience in a Product Design, UX Design, Service Design or Design Research role delivering complex design systems for web and native applications.
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience designing digital experiences for mobile and web-based applications.
- Experience developing facilitation, collaboration and consensus building skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard design and workplace applications. including Sketch, InVision (or comparable prototyping tool), Adobe CC and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated understanding of new technologies and best practices in website navigation, browsers, mobile patterns, information architecture and usability.
- Demonstrated experience designing user interfaces for web and mobile applications (iOS, Android, etc.)
- Developing written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, time management skills and strong attention to detail.
- Highly motivated, engaging and able to work effectively within a team environment, always delivering results on time.
- Quick learner with solid organizational and prioritization skills.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Some experience participating in qualitative user research and synthesis to propose solutions that meet user needs.
- Some exposure to working with data scientists to understand metrics and infer user behavior.
- Experience working with other designers receiving and providing design critique to grow the work.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective method for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this skill is: $60,300.00 - $108,600.00*
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is Not Available for this position.