The Director of Religious Education (DRE) will lead the children's religious education program in fulfillment of the catechetical mission of the parish. This position will supervise and work with volunteers to coordinate healthy religious programs for children and youth. The DRE designs, develops, directs, and evaluates a total parish catechetical program and provides leadership to assist parish community in building a solid foundation for spirituality, Christian living, ministry, and outreach.
* Oversees parish religious education program and organizes resources in religious education for the pastor
* Oversees curriculum planning and the selection of texts from Kindergarten through high school.
* Schedules Interviews with parents/family before start of Faith Formation program for children receiving the Sacraments of First Reconciliation, First Eucharist, and Confirmation
* Coordinates Family retreats with approval of the pastor
* Coordinates RCIA program with Adults and Children
* Creates and maintains religious education programs' calendar
* Oversees the registration process, including Religious Education Program on Sundays
* Provides appropriate environments for catechetical and spiritual growth
* Ensures proper supervision of indoor and outdoor facilities during program times
* Creates handbooks and other communications for youth, parents and catechists
* Oversees Faith Formation activities ensuring they correspond with the activities of the parish.
* Recruits and supervises catechists and volunteers ensuring on-going development opportunities
* Assists each catechist in establishing and implementing their plan for diocesan catechist formation and maintains catechist records
* Works with the Diocesan Department of Catholic Formation and represents the parish at various meetings and conferences pertaining to religious education and/or administrative development
* Ensures that the Safe Environment requirements, policies, and mandates for the Parish Faith Program are in compliance with Office for Child and Youth Protection.
* Meets with the pastor regularly to discuss matters relating to the Parish Faith Formation and sacramental preparation
* Plan and organize the entire year of the Parish Faith Formation Program in accordance with the solemnities of the Parish/Catholic Church. Important: Five topics: Sacred Scripture plus the four "pillars" of the Catechism of the Church: Creed, Liturgy and Sacraments, Christian Morality, and Prayer
* Schedules at the pastor's directive dates for First Recollection retreat for Penance and First Holy Communion, First Penance and First Holy Communion
* Schedules and coordinates the sacramental meetings for parents for the Sacraments
* Cooperates with parish staff members in developing and implementing parish programs and use of the facilities.
* Creates and monitors an annual budget, in consultation with pastor and parish finance council
* Evaluates the programs to determine strengths, areas of improvement and future needs
* All other duties as assigned
* Supervision of Seminarians (Place of training in the parish)
* Responsible for Religious Ed. Data Base
* Inventory of the Faith Formation Office (books, items, etc....) at the end of the year
* Bachelor's degree in religious education, religious studies or another relevant field.
* Possesses several years of teaching experience
* Active member in a Roman Catholic Church required
* Knowledge of group dynamics and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals and groups
* Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with staff, parishioners, and the public
Minimum Knowledge and Skills:
* Must be a practicing Catholic and active in the parish; must work well with people of all walks of life
* Experience in multicultural education and culturally-responsive practices in the classroom and commitment to anti-racism
* Interpersonal skills, ability to relate well with a wide range of children, youth and adults.
* Flexible team player, able to work collaboratively with teams of lay leaders and other staff members
* Excellent communication skills, ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from customers, and the general public
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
* Ability to manage a budget
* Ability to work a flexible work week including Sundays and some evenings.
* Ability to read, analyze, and write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
* Ability to maintain confidentiality
* Ability to solve practical problems and interpret instructions furnished in writing or orally
* Ability to adapt to changing schedules or routines