Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
The LVN Health Coach is responsible for successfully supporting Disease Management/Chronic Care Program requirements for medical group/health plan members. The Health Coach acts as an educator, resource, and advocate for members and their families to ensure a maximum level of independence. The LVN Health Coach will interact and collaborate with multidisciplinary care teams, which include physicians, nurses, pharmacists, laboratory technologists, social workers, and other educators. The LVN Health Coach will assist in providing patient empowerment through the use of motivational interviewing skills, problem solving, and self-management goal setting.
- Works with the PCP and clinic staff to identify patients with high risk diagnoses such as CHF, IHD, COPD/asthma and diabetes and ensures clinical guidelines are being followed.
- Contacts and performs initial interviews with patients who are in need of health coaching programs.
- Conducts Chronic Care Model visits and reviews the patient’s informal and formal support systems, focusing on what patients want to improve and educating them about their chronic disease.
- Provide necessary coaching to reduce or eliminate behaviors that are considered high-risk.
- Identify the required goals that eah patient must fulfill and advice feasible options for achieving goal.
- Responsible for ensuring that patients are made aware of health issues, concerns and the way in which one could combat them.
- Must raise awareness about the different available exercises, weight loss programs and other dietary requirements necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
- Utilizes appropriate motivational interviewing techniques necessary for coaching and assisting the patient to complete a self-management goal/action plan.
- Must be able to provide a chart of habits and lifestyle changes that are imperative for the improvement of the concerned patient’s health.
- Enters timely and accurate data into the electronic medical record to communicate patient needs and to ensure complete documentation of patient visits and phone calls. Tracks self-management goal outcomes and documents in electronic medical record.
- Maintains current knowledge regarding CHF, IHD, COPD/asthma and diabetes as well as related treatments and complex medications.
- Assists, initiates referrals, and coordinates transitions of car regarding hospitalization follow-up, palliative care, hospice, etc….
- Establishes a trusting relationship with identified patients, caregivers, clinic staff members and physicians.
- Attends educational offerings to keep abreast of change and complies with licensing requirements, ensures all patient educational materials are up-to-date, and maintains knowledge of specialty and ancillary provider contract contents, to include exclusions and contract terms.
- Conducts clinic one-on-one visits with Disease Management Chronic Care Program participants, utilizing the Chronic Care Model, to assess patient needs for DME, home health, value-added services and any other necessary resources. Communicates these needs to the appropriate person (i.e. Social Worker, clinic staff, etc.) or addresses them per process
- Collaborates with the nurse manager to recommend policies, procedures and standards which affect the care of the patient with high-risk chronic disease diagnoses such as CHF, IHD, COPD/asthma and diabetes.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned. i.e. IV Insertion with hydration fluid administration, wound care, dressing changes, suture removal, insertion and removal of urinary catheters, and etc.
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Licensed Vocational Nurse with a current license to practice in the state of employment.
- Two or more years experience in a physician’s office, clinical or hospital setting.
- Cardiac, medical-surgical and/or critical care experience required.
- Proficient knowledge of chronic diseases, especially COPD/asthma, diabetes, CHF and IHD.
- Experience related to patient education and/or motivational interviewing skills and self-management goal setting.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to interact productively with individuals and with multidisciplinary teams.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- This position requires Tuberculosis screening as well as proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis through lab confirmation of immunity, documented evidence of vaccination, or a doctor’s diagnosis of disease
- You will be provisioned with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and are required to perform this role with patients and members on site, as this is an essential function of this role.
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and localmasking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- Knowledge of managed care, referral processes, claims and ICD-9 and CPT coding
- Five or more years experience in a physician’s office, clinical or hospital setting
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) language proficiency
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors., WellMed is a network of doctors, specialists and other medical professionals that specialize in providing care for 550,000+ older adults with over 16,000 doctors’ offices in Texas and Florida through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.