Founded in 1906, over the last 110+ years' CEMEX has grown into a global building materials company that provides high quality products and reliable service to customers and communities throughout the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. Here at CEMEX we offer our employees competitive wages, career growth, excellent benefits including health, dental & vision plans, vacation or paid time off, employee assistance program and retirement plan options, along with over a century of stability to build your next career on! To learn more about our company culture and why you should join us, visit us at www.cemexusa.com/careers. For direct access to CEMEX Career Opportunities, visit us at https://jobs.cemex.com/.
Performs a variety of general labor tasks in a pit or a quarry or at a preparation plant. Laborers generally performs their duties during rotating shifts that vary while the hours of operation of the business, under direct supervision.
This job interfaces, on a daily basis, with the rest of the operations in this location. The employee holding this job must perform the work activities in a correct, accurate and timely fashion due to the fact that every single work activity in our line of business is crucial for the whole operation.
- Shovel muck, stone, gravel, sand from around conveyors
- Shovel material onto conveyors
- General housekeeping in the pit, plant, office, and quarry facilities
- Clean working areas, using high pressure water hose
- Dig and maintain drainage ditches
- Assist mechanics and semi and skilled personnel in procuring and moving parts, material, and equipment.
- Assist with scheduled maintenance and major repairs.
- Assit with cleaning parts, material, and equipment
- Performs job functions during mandatory overtime periods, as assigned
- Replace or assist other workers as needed or directed, which will include operating mobile and plant equipment
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the leadman or supervisor or Leadman.
- Adhere to all CEMEX and O.S.H.A. rules and regulations at all times and wear proper safety equipment while on plant grounds
- Prior experience required, equivalent to thirty days or more of training or experience.
- Ability to perform emergency rescue.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to perform work according to a routine, while maintaining standards of performance.
- General knowledge of safety, environmental and other federal, state, and local regulations.
- Proper operation of all equipment.
- Proper discharge of duties by the company laborer will be measured, in part, by the degree of efficiency of performance, as measured through visual observation and periodic verification.
- Ability to carry out simple one or two-step instructions.
- Basic mathematical skills, including addition and subtraction of two-digit numbers and basic units of measurements.
- Be able to read, write, and speak English
- Ability to detect safety hazards and equipment malfunctioning and respond accordingly.
- Ability to comprehend additional training presented to him/her in relation to the performance of the work duties.
- Ability to develop mechanical and/or welding skills for future promotion.
- Ability to work scheduled shift hours and be flexible with scheduling, overtime and weekends
- Continuous exposure to extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme noise, and working outdoors
- Must wear protective equipment while at the location
- Requires walking, sitting, lifting, pushing, pulling, and climbing to a significant degree
- Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds or force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, in order to communicate to employees/visitors as well as function safely around heavy rolling equipment
- Must be able to perform all job functions which include, but may not be limited to, pushing, turning, and/or pulling of controls
- Must be able to pass a drug test prior to employment.
CEMEX is an EEO/AA (equal opportunity/affirmative action) institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or familial status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by under federal, state or local law in the programs or activities which it operates.
CEMEX will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all local, state and federal laws.
CEMEX is an E-Verify participating employer.
Arizona Smoke-Free Act. CEMEX complies with the State of Arizona’s Smoke-Free Act (Arizona Revised Statutes § 36-601.01). Smoking and/or the use of tobacco or related products is prohibited in and on CEMEX property as well as any building and/or vehicle owned or leased by CEMEX.
CEMEX offers both competitive pay and benefits. Benefits applicable to this position may include, but are not limited to, medical, dental, vision, 401(k), Paid Time Off, and Holiday Pay, as well as a comprehensive wellness program to help keep employees and their families healthy and well. You can learn more about CEMEX Benefits by visiting the CEMEX USA Benefits and Well-Being page. (https://www.cemexusa.com/careers/life-at-cemex/benefits-well-being).
EEO Statement - En Español
CEMEX es una institución EEO/AA (igualdad de oportunidad/acción afirmativa) y no discrimina en base al sexo, edad, raza, color, religión, discapacidad física o mental, credo, origen nacional, estatus veterano, orientación sexual, información genética, identidad de género, o expresión de género en los programas o actividades los cuales opera.
Nearest Major Market: San Antonio