Come be a part of something bigger!
More than 10,000 dedicated employees around the world bring their unique talents, expertise and experiences to work every day with Benchmark. Our strength lies in our diversity, positive service attitude and determination to succeed. Come be a part of our “Be the Difference” culture, where every employee, at every level, in every job strives to capture moments when they can provide memorable, personalized service to our guests, coworkers, and communities.
We are a strong believer in offering our employees Work-Life Effectiveness through, practices, policies, and programs to help our employees achieve success at both work and home. Here are just some of the great benefits we offer:
- Full Time employees have access to Medical and Dental insurance to fit your needs
- Benchmark University (You can grow both personally and professionally through on-line webinars and self-study courses)
- 401K match (Let us help you build your financial future)
- Companywide Hotel Room Discounts (Who doesn’t love to get away)
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program (We are here to support you)
- Employee family events (bring the kids!)
- Partnerships and discounts with major retailers such as AT&T, Verizon and Dish to name a few
- Many more, please inquire for more details
Who are we?
The Lead Cook - Primero Cantina assists the Sous Chef in heavy production and fabrication of food products for kitchen preparation, cafeteria, banquet cooking, dining room, and fine dining. The Lead Cook should maintain a passive leadership role in maintaining adequate production level from the Kitchen staff.
What you will have an opportunity to do:
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Maintain and strictly abide by State sanitation/Health regulations and Hotel requirements.
- Meet with Head Cook/Sous Chef to review assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
- Opening Shift - Turn on specified equipment (i.e., ovens, deep fryers), fill steam table and unlock secured areas (i.e., reach-ins, walk-ins); secure keys.
- Complete opening duties:
- Set up work station with required tools, equipment and supplies.
- Inspect the cleanliness and working condition of all tools, equipment and supplies.
- Check production schedule and pars.
- Establish priority items for the day.
- Inform the Head Cook of any supplies that need to be requisitioned for the day's tasks.
- Transport supplies from the Storeroom and stock in designated areas.
- Start prep work on items needed for the particular menu of the day.
- Organize all of the various prep items needed from different areas to ensure that all items are in place and ready for service.
- Continue prep work after the meal period for the next meal service.
- Check P.O.S. printer at the work station; ensure that it is in working order and there is enough paper available for the shift.
- Prepare all menu items following recipes and yield guide.
- Inform the Sous Chef of any shortages before the item runs out.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Sous Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Inform Head Cook of any excess items that can be used in daily specials or elsewhere.
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and Hotel requirements.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food cost.
- Disinfect and sanitize cutting boards and worktables.
- Transport empty, dirty pots and pans to the pot wash station.
- Direct and assist Stewards in order to make clean-up a more efficient process.
- Breakdown work station and complete closing duties:
- Return all food items to the proper storage areas.
- Rotate all returned product.
- Wrap, cover, label and date all items being put away.
- Straighten up and organize all storage areas.
- Clean up and wipe down food prep areas, reach-ins/walk-ins, shelves.
- Return all unused and clean utensils/equipment to the specified locations.
- Ice down hot items from the steam table, so they cool quickly.
- Turn off all equipment not needed for the next shift.
- Restock items that were depleted during the shift.
- Review status of work and follow-up actions required with the Head Cook before leaving.
Associate is held accountable for all duties of this job and other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education
- High school education required
- At least one year kitchen/prep experience or one year of culinary school required
- Customer Service experience preferred
- Must be a United States citizen or possess a valid work permit
- Must have complete understanding of the fundamentals of the culinary operation
- Must have any required certification to Handle Food
- Must be able to accurately follow instructions, both verbally and written
- Must be able to work with an around kitchen equipment
- Must provide own culinary knives
- Must be able to work with and around a diverse group of food, seasonings, etc.
- Must possesses excellent communication skills
- Must be professional in appearance and demeanor
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment
- Must have excellent listening skills
- Must always ensure a teamwork environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Must have the ability to deal effectively and interact well with the guests and associates
- Must have the ability to resolve problems/conflicts in a diplomatic and tactful manner
- Must have a passion for creating an exceptional experience for all guests
- While primarily an indoor job, must be able to work at outdoor locations on occasion, walking on uneven surfaces;
- Must be able to work in either hot or cold conditions
- Must be able to stand on feet and walk throughout the day
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50+ lbs. & occasionally lift, carry, push & pull up to 75 lbs;
- Must be able to perform simple grasping, fine manipulation, reaching and repetitive hand & arm movements constantly; squeezing and overhead reaching occasionally
- Must be able to twist and bend frequently, and squat occasionally
What are we looking for?
Benchmark Hospitality is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.