Who You Are
- A self-reflective and self-aware teammate who is dedicated to aligning their work to Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to use these skills to contribute to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- An outstanding classroom teacher who holds scholars to consistently high behavioral and academic expectations.
- A results-driven instructor with experience in, and commitment to, the use of data analysis and assessments to drive instructional decisions and teacher accountability.
- A graduate of a Bachelor's degree program (required), with at least 2 years of teaching experience and state certification (required). Certification can be EC-6, 4-8 Core or 4-8 Math.
What You'll Do
- Work alongside a lead classroom teacher to ensure that scholars enjoy a classroom culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Work with scholars who are below grade level in Math through co-teaching, small group work, and in one-on-one settings.
- Create an inclusive school community by engaging in training, reflection, and dialogue around issues of race, identity, diversity, equity, and inclusion for our staff and scholars.
- Assist in the development and use a variety of assessment data to refine curricula and instructional practice.
- Plan and facilitate differentiated learning activities in order to rapidly improve scholar data and mastery of content .
- Consult with school personnel on scholar needs when requested or appropriate to assist in development of classroom interventions.
- Plan model lessons for teachers that showcase exemplar academic supports.
- Maintain strong relationships with scholars, families, and colleagues through effective and frequent communication.
- Continuously improve your professional practice through weekly coaching sessions, professional development, and collaborative, data-driven reflection with department and grade-level teams and your coach.
- Encourage the social and emotional health and growth of all scholars through active communication and partnership with the school's scholar support team.
- Foster a life of active citizenship for all scholars through the implementation of age-appropriate conversations and activities centered on current events, participation in community service and outreach opportunities, and active celebration of scholars' culture, heritage, and identity.
- Engage in whole-school events and tasks, including transitions, family conferences, tutoring, and other activities/duties.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop. Along with participating in the mandatory TRS, employees have the choice of enrolling in a pre-tax 403b or post-tax Roth with Democracy Prep.
This is an ESSER funded role through the CARES ACT specifically added solely for the next two school years to support scholars and mitigate the effects of the crippling pandemic. This role is funded through the 2022-2023 school year and has a current end date of June 30, 2023. There will may be opportunities to apply for other positions within the Democracy Prep network for 2023-2024 school year as available.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.