Our client's mission is to serve vulnerable people in crisis through their innovative and personalized approach. They provide effective and innovative services that encourage growth and help people build better lives for themselves and those around them. They heavily believe that everyone can grow, heal, change, succeed and affect those around them in a positive way. Our client is on a mission to serve veterans and the community to get at risk groups back on their feet. They have a passion to restore dignity and improve quality of life of the vulnerable through their benefits program.
This purpose of the Senior Accountant role is to ensure the prompt and accurate production and processing of all general ledger accounts, respective relevant reports, records, and documentation while maintaining the reconciliation on their designated scheduled and general ledger accounts.
Why work for the company:
- Company with a strong culture & mission
- Work with a group of people that have a service heart
- Opportunity for growth within the organization
- Work remotely 4 days a week!
What will the Senior Accountant do?
- Review and analyze month end financials to ensure accuracy
- Review staff journal entries for accuracy and completeness
- Produce routine and periodic reports as required/requested
- Ensure proper document storage
- Assist CFO, Director of Finance and Controller as needed; back up as necessary
- Reconcile, prepare, and record bi-monthly payroll journal entries including 401(k) and insurances. Working with program directors to ensure proper allocation of staff.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations, resolving discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Assist with various banking matters, upload, and approve payment files, maintaining credit card user profiles, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prepare and assist in annual audit and various monitoring reviews conducted by funders throughout the year.
- Maintain confidentiality of all payroll and accounting information, and comply with internal control policies
What we need in a Senior Accountant:
- 3-5 years of accounting experience
- 3-5 years of nonprofit accounting experience
- Sage Intact experience is a plus
- 5-7 years of general ledger experience preferred
- 2-3 years in a customer service focused environment
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA/CPA preferred
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities needed from the Senior Accountant:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively via oral or written means. Ability to present a friendly and positive demeanor to vendors, clients served, staff and the public.
- Ability to remain calm and maintain self-control during difficult circumstances and emergencies. Ability to respond in a professional manner in all situations.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, intermediate to advanced level Excel, Access. Knowledge of accounting software programs. Exposure to multiple location, nonprofit, grant/cost accounting a plus.
- Ability to set work priorities and to evaluate and create solutions to work related problems. Ability to think analytically and evaluate the impact of decisions.
- Strong math skills; making calculations; working with budgets; analyzing grant and funding budgets and reports.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP) and Generally Accepted Government Accounting Standards (GAGAS).