Do you have the career opportunities as a(an) Nurse Extern PRN you want with your current employer? We have an exciting opportunity for you to join Methodist Hospital which is part of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, HCA Healthcare.
Methodist Hospital, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Fertility and family building benefits through Progyny
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- Family support, including adoption assistance, child and elder care resources and consumer discounts
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Retirement readiness and rollover services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Our teams are a committed, caring group of colleagues. Do you want to work as a(an) Nurse Extern PRN where your passion for creating positive patient interactions are valued? If you are dedicated to caring for the well-being of others, this could be your next opportunity. We want your knowledge and expertise!
Job Summary and Qualifications
Seeking a Nurse Extern to deliver high quality, patient-centered care by performing a variety of delegated basic patient care services related to common nursing functions and activities of daily living. Under the supervision of the registered nurse (RN), the Nurse Extern assists the nursing staff in providing patient care in accordance with the Nurse Extern’s skills/training and the needs of the Department, and consistently assists the patient care team with maintaining a clean, well-organized, and safe patient care environment. The Nurse Extern is currently enrolled and in good standing in an accredited school of nursing and can perform higher-level procedures once competency is achieved.
What you will do In This Role:
- Participates in the implementation of nursing care plans by performing direct and indirect patient care under the supervision of the licensed nurse.
- Obtains and records initial and ongoing patient information throughout the cycle of care, including admissions data, vital signs, height and weight, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, blood glucose levels, intake and output, and calorie counts.
- Documents observations, interactions, patient responses to performed activities, and any physical or behavioral changes at time of occurrence. Reports observations of individual patients to the RN/Team Leader.
- Assists with mobility by regular turning and positioning, dangling, and ambulating patients. Assists with use of walkers, crutches, canes, and wheelchairs. Transfers patients to and from other units, departments, or entities. Assists with discharges. Demonstrates proper body mechanics.
- Provides or assists with non-medicated support care, including non-sterile dressing changes, skin protection, application of heat or ice, oxygen delivery, and venous compression devices.
- Performs non-medicated support tasks, including oral suctioning, enema, catheterization and foley catheter removal, drain maintenance, and basic wound care. Increases variety and difficulty of tasks as competency is verified through nursing program.
- Obtains or assists in the collection of specimens for diagnostic or waived tests. Ensures accuracy of all labels and timely transfer of specimen.
- Retrieves medication from pharmacy, storage room, or tube system and delivers to licensed staff member as instructed.
- Assists with patient preparation for surgery or other procedure.
- Assists patients with activities of daily living to include eating and drinking, bathing, shaving, oral care, grooming, and elimination. Changes bed linens as needed.
- Performs hourly rounding and responds promptly to call lights and patient requests. Strives to anticipate patient needs and resolve them proactively.
- Follows patient and employee safety/security policies and protocols, including hand hygiene, use of universal precautions, use of personal protective equipment, and adherence to isolation procedures.
- Prepares and maintains clean, hazard-free patient rooms. Empties trash and removes soiled linens.
- Assists with patient/family/caregiver learning needs, abilities and readiness to learn. Identifies barriers to learning, such as language or culture. Integrates this information into the patient’s plan of care.
- Translates complex medical terminology to ensure patients/families/caregivers understand patient medical condition, patient status, treatment plan, medications and possible side effects, and follow-up measures.
- Educates patients/families/caregivers on healthy diet and exercise, disease prevention, and/or lifestyle changes that may be needed once a patient leaves the hospital. Prepares patients and families/caregivers for future self-management.
- Provides teaching material as needed (pamphlets, video, etc.) to enhance understanding. Documents each teaching episode.
- Assists with post-mortem care.
- Assists in the setup, removal, and cleaning of equipment. Identifies malfunctioning equipment and initiates repairs.
- Performs clerical work as needed, including greeting customers, filing, answering and transferring phones, and relaying messages.
- Prepares and maintains chart, MAR and Kardex on each patient admitted. Adds documentation forms to chart as needed. Ensures each form is properly labeled.
- Assists provider in obtaining medical records and diagnostic results.
- Promotes consistent, positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service.
- Demonstrates caring and empathy in all interactions and advocates for patient- and family-centered approach in all decisions and actions.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, including active listening. Ensures patients, physicians, and colleagues have a clear understanding of all communications.
- Engages in evidence-based best practices that enhance the patient experience, including SAFETY rounding, communication fundamentals/AIDET, Teach-Back, Narrating Care, etc.
- Participates as an active member of the health care team and positively promotes the rest of the team to patients/families/caregivers and other colleagues.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demonstrates behaviors consistent with established policies/procedures.
- Uses job knowledge and proficiency of skills to successfully assist in orientation of new employees.
- Shares new knowledge with peers and mentors those with less experience.
- Attends and actively participates in unit meetings.
- Seeks opportunities to impact the growth of the organization by promoting excellence in patient experience and providing high quality care to the patients served.
- Identifies and assists with opportunities for performance improvement activities on the unit and with other service areas.
- Fulfills the duty and responsibility to maintain competence and to continue personal and professional growth.
- Creates and implements a personal career development plan, reviewed regularly by supervisor and/or preceptor.
- Maintains supplies, forms and necessary requisitions for the unit.
- Demonstrates cost effective use and maintenance of unit supplies.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by taking ownership of time management, decreasing waste of time and/or supplies, and promoting cost effectiveness while maintaining patient safety and quality of care.
What Qualifications You Will Need:
- Currently enrolled and in good standing in an accredited school of nursing
- 1+ years of nursing school completed preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) must be obtained within 30 days of hire
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. With over 800 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, oncology, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics. We are proud to be the largest provider of the lifesaving ECMO Program in San Antonio, are home to the largest robotics program in the world, and our Adult Blood Cancer and Stem Cell Transplant unit has become the first program to receive FACT Accreditation in North America.
As the flagship hospital, and most comprehensive medical care facility of Methodist Healthcare, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community. We’ve recently been named the No.1 Best Regional Hospital by the U.S. News and World Report for 2019-20. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality of care possible for our patients, which is proven by our consecutive Grade A Leapfrog Hospital Safety scores. In addition, Methodist Hospital not only received a Primary Stroke Center designation from The Joint Commission, but has also received a Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from DNV GL Healthcare, designating the facility as offering the most advanced stroke treatment available in a given geographic area. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
HCA Healthcare has been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by the Ethisphere Institute more than ten times. In recent years, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.7 billion in cost for the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
"Bricks and mortar do not make a hospital. People do."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our Nurse Extern PRN opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.