The Nurse Manager provides clinical leadership in conjunction with the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) / Director of Nursing (DON) and assumes the responsibility for nursing administrative decisions in the absence of the CNO/DON. Areas of focus include nursing staffing and assignments, performance evaluation, clinical and administrative decision-making related to nursing care, and continuous improvement of nursing and rehabilitative care. The Nurse Manager is responsible and accountable for assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating and maintaining quality nursing care on the unit. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. This is an exempt position and must have the ability to work evenings, as needed.
Nursing Services Responsibilities
• Plans, organizes, schedules and delegates work effectively.
• Assures compliance with current standards of care established by the profession and regulatory bodies.
• Assists the CNO/DON in the implementation and evaluation of the care delivery system utilized on the nursing unit.
• Assures compliance with current standards of care established by the profession and regulatory bodies.
• Sets an example for other staff through demonstration of responsibility for own professional growth through initiation of team and discipline staff meetings, participation in inservices to disseminate professional and/or administrative knowledge/policies, and initiation of learning activities to increase understanding and update rehab nursing and other appropriate skills.
• Assumes responsibility for function of nursing unit as assigned; makes changes in shift assignments as indicated due to attendance irregularities; supports cost-effective quality nursing through utilization of available resources.
• Participates in performance improvement activities to assure improved patient outcomes.
• Provides guidance and discipline as necessary for nursing staff during designated shifts, in absence of their supervisor.
• Evaluates subordinates on time and seeks administrative review before presenting salary increases; takes appropriate action when performance falls below expectations.
• Supports interdisciplinary team model providing environment that enables active nursing participation in goal setting, program definition and outcome evaluation of patients.
• Assures charge capture accuracy, completeness, and timeliness, in compliance with system, hospital/department policies and procedures.
• Acts as the primary nurse administrator in the absence of the CNO/DON.
• Performs responsibilities and/or duties of staff RN as needed, including direct patient care activities.
• Defines and oversees the orientation, education, and training of licensed and unlicensed staff involved in providing direct nursing care of patients.
• Coaches mentors, and provides developmental opportunities for nursing staff.
• Assists nursing personnel to utilize the nursing process in managing care and ensuring continuity.
• Responsible for restraint education.
Infection Control Responsibilities
• Assures coordination of the hospital-wide infection control program consistent with the policies, procedures, and guidelines of PAM.
• Initiates the writing and/or evaluation of hospital-wide infection control related policies and procedures.
• Assures monitoring for compliance with hospital-wide infection control related policies and procedures and regulatory body requirements.
• Assures monitoring of infectious diseases present in the hospital population, mode of transmission, and recommended treatment.
• Assures education of all employees regarding handwashing, standard precautions, and other appropriate infection control related information.
• Participates in hospital educational programs on health, safety, hazardous waste, etc.
• Assure appropriate reporting activities.
Employee Health Responsibilities
• Assures coordination of the hospital-wide employee health program consistent with the policies, procedures, and guidelines of PAM.
• Initiates the writing and/or evaluation of hospital-wide employee health related policies and procedures.
• Assures monitoring for compliance with hospital-wide and regulatory body employee health related policies and procedures and guidelines.
• Assures an employee health record system for all employees.
• Assures a system to assess employees who become ill or injured on duty, as well as employees returning to work after an episode of infectious illness.
• Assists the Licensed Healthcare Professional in preparation and completion of required activities in relation to employees with exposure incidents to bloodborne pathogens.
• Assures appropriate reporting activities.
• Inclusiveness: Promotes cooperation, fairness and equity; shows respect for people and their differences; works to understand perspectives of others; demonstrates empathy; brings out the best in others and in his/her team.
• Managing Staff: Coaches, evaluates, develops, and inspires staff. Sets expectations. Recognizes achievements. Effectively manages conflict. Aligns dept. goals with company goals. Provides feedback, group leadership. Delegates appropriately. Evaluations completed on time.
• Stewardship and Resource Management: Demonstrates accountability and sound judgment in managing company resources. Appropriate understanding of confidentiality and company values. Adheres to and supports company policies, procedures and safety guidelines.
• Problem Solving: Identifies problems, involves others in seeking solutions. Conducts appropriate analysis. Searches for best solutions. Effectively and efficiently implements appropriate response to correct problem. Responds promptly and effectively to new challenges.
• Decision Making: Makes clear, consistent decisions. Acts with integrity in all decisions. Distinguishes relevant from irrelevant information. Makes timely, appropriate decisions.
• Strategic Planning and Organizing: Understands company vision and aligns priorities accordingly. Measures outcomes. Uses feedback to redirect as required. Evaluates alternatives. Appropriately organizes complex issues to desirable resolution.
• Communication: Connects with fellow managers, employees and all customers. Actively listens. Clearly and effectively shares information. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Negotiates effectively.
• Quality Improvement: Strives for efficient, effective, high quality performance in self and the department. Delivers timely and accurate results. Resilient when responding to matters that are challenging. Takes initiative to make improvements.
• Leadership: Motivates others. Accepts responsibility. Maintains high morale in department. Develops trust and credibility. Expects honest and ethical behavior of self and staff.
• Teamwork: Encourages cooperation and collaboration. Builds effective teams. Works in partnership with others. Is flexible. Responsive to the needs of others.
• Development: Maintains up-to-date skills through involvement with professional organizations or continuing education.
• Maintains the highest level of customer service via courtesy, compassion and positive communication.
• Promotes the mission and vision of Post Acute Medical within the work environment and community.
• Respects dignity and confidentiality by adherence to all applicable policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
• Works in a manner that promotes safety; wears clothing appropriate to the performance of the job.
• Participates in OSHA required training.
• Follows universal precautions as appropriate for position; complies with Employee Health requirements for continued employment.
• Reports unsafe practices to management.
• Knows own role in case of an emergency.
Education and Training: Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State where the hospital resides. Bachelor degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum of three to five years of clinical nursing experience required. Prior management experience preferred. Current BLS and ACLS certifications required. Nursing specific certification, to include CNE, CRRN, CCRN or PCCN preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Verbal ability to effectively express ideas and views for communication with (as appropriate) pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients, visitors, and staff members.
• Read and write English language including medical terminology and abbreviations.
• Clerical ability to write reports, memorandums, etc.
• Cognitive ability to operationalize the nursing process with (as appropriate) pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients seeking rehabilitation nursing care.
• Organizational ability to direct and motivate professional and non-professional staff in performance of patient care.
• Strong clinical, leadership, and management skills along with a high level of initiative and creative problem solving.
• Capacity to relate to people in a manner to win confidence and establish support.
• Flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and the various details of the job.
PAM Health is committed to being the most trusted source for post-acute services in every community it serves by utilizing experienced and dedicated staff to provide high quality patient care and customer service. With over 44 Long Term Acute Care and Rehabilitation hospitals and 16 Outpatient Clinics currently in operation across the country, we are proud to offer services including comprehensive wound care, aquatic therapy, ventilator weaning, amputation treatment, pain management and much more.
Joining our PAMily allows you to work in a collaborative environment with colleagues and leadership with exposure to a variety of patient care levels. Aside from our competitive pay, generous paid benefit time, and excellent insurance options, you will also have opportunities for professional growth through our Education Advancement Program.
We are excited to learn more about you and hope that you consider joining us on a shared mission to improve the lives of others by being an integral part of our We Care Program. Please take a moment to visit us online at www.postacutemedical.com for a comprehensive look at how we're able to positively impact our local communities.
PAM Health does not discriminate and does not permit discrimination, including, without limitation, bullying, abuse or harassment, on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or HIV status, or based on association with another person on account of that person's actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or HIV status.