UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Our team is seeking a Principal Data Scientist with expertise and experience in machine learning. This individual will be responsible for the research and development of advanced, high-impact machine learning techniques for various healthcare use cases. This role provides an unprecedented opportunity to leverage large-scale proprietary healthcare datasets, internal team of subject matter experts and cutting-edge computing cloud infrastructure to craft innovative machine learning problems to challenging and high-impact healthcare problems.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Apply advanced machine learning and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on multiple predictive detection engines in Optum Enterprise Analytics
- Develop actionable machine learning solutions and propose recommendations and strategies to solve commercial opportunities in unique ways that return optimal value to our business
- Be a storyteller to explain the ‘why and how’ of your data driven recommendations to cross-functional teams
- Assess internal data and processes to determine opportunities for application of advanced analytics for broad division-wide analytic usage
- Develop and expand a fledgling applied research program with focus on impact-focused initiatives, rapid prototyping and obsession with converting applied research into software
- Be a hands-on leader and teach by example by building prototypes using variety of predictive methods while adhering to the ML development cycle (e.g. iterative EDA, prediction specification, feature engineering and model tuning)
- Participate in meetings business stakeholders, data experts, software/platform engineering, physicians to scope R&D use-cases and convert them into scope of work
- Be a thought leader and coach the junior team members in the wide variety of statistical/predictive methods (e.g. DL, VAE, Bayesian nets etc) to attack a given prediction use-case
- Build, mentor and lead a team of applied research scientists and data scientists
- Self-drive knowledge accumulation of methods and modeling advances by reading research publications, blogs and attending presentations and webinars
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Graduate (Masters/Phd) degree in engineering, information or STEM disciplines
- 7+ years of experience conducting statistical, research-minded analysis of variety of data types/forms with aim to utilize this analysis into building or optimizing predictive methods
- 5+ years’ experience in programming with languages such as Python, R, Julia
- 4+ years of deep, hands-on experience with machine Learning applied to the healthcare, energy, Retail, industrial AI, Aerospace or other high-stakes domains (direct experience in a cloud environment is highly valued)
- 5+ years of experience in scripting languages and utilities such as CLI tools, awk, sed, perl, regex etc.
- Experience with one or many of these topics such in customer churn, intent prediction, disease/damage progression, anomaly detection, sequence-based models, time-series forecasting or time to event modeling
- Experience in deploying machine learning models in a production setting (logging, monitoring, alerts) in a cloud environment
- Exposure to extracting and manipulating data via tool/libraries/forms such as Spark, pandas, scikit family, numpy/scipy, matplotlib, streamlit
“UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.”
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 5 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that’s second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Machine Learning, AI, Research, Prototyping, Python, R, Julia, Matlab, Spark, pandas, scikit family, numpy/scipy, matplotlib, streamlit, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, Work at Home, Work from Home, Remote