UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Software engineering is the application of engineering to the design, development, implementation, testing and maintenance of software in a systematic method. The roles in this function will cover all primary development activity across all technology functions that ensure we deliver code with high quality for our applications, products and services and to understand customer needs and to develop product roadmaps.
These roles include, but are not limited to analysis, design, coding, engineering, testing, debugging, standards, methods, tools analysis, documentation, research and development, maintenance, new development, operations and delivery. With every role in the company, each position has a requirement for building quality into every output. This also includes evaluating new tools, new techniques, strategies; Automation of common tasks; build of common utilities to drive organizational efficiency with a passion around technology and solutions and influence of thought and leadership on future capabilities and opportunities to apply technology in new and innovative ways.
If you are located in Seattle, WA, Eden Prairie, MN, or New York, NY, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Lead, inspire and set the vision for the OptumLabs’ architecture and technical roadmap
- You will be responsible for transformative changes to our architecture and drive OptumLabs’ technical strategy
- You will evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing technologies and tools, influence other Principals, Directors, and their technical teams to build the right systems that can scale to the needs of the business
- Design, develop and deliver strategically significant or demanding software that changes how we engineer solutions
- Build exemplary architecture solutions in terms of efficiency, stability, extensibility, and the ability to evolve over time
- Their coding practices are exemplary in terms of code organization, clarity, simplicity, error handling, and documentation
- Able to decompose significantly complex engineering problems into straightforward solutions
- Can take the lead on projects that may require the work of several teams to implement
- Able to take responsibility for the overall architecture of a major product or medium-sized organization, aligning the teams that own that software towards a coherent system strategy
- Ability to decompose a software architecture into components that can be owned and developed by different engineering teams
- Able to communicate component divisions in a way that allows individual teams to work mostly independently
- Current on advanced technical issues, technologies, and trends
- Industry thought leader
- Practice SME
- Develops solutions that transform the industry
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Undergraduate degree in applicable area of expertise or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale projects
- Proven track record of leading the delivery of large-scale, high-quality systems
- Advanced degree in computer science, or related field
- 3+ years of experience as leader for technical, customer facing roles with demonstrated experiences hiring and developing key talent
- Demonstrated experience working cross-group with Director and VP-level technical leaders
- Highly skilled and experienced at creating internal alignment across roles (Engineering, Product, Marketing, Finance, etc.) for strategic projects
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences at the C-level
- Hands-on experience with development of ML-based products
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Solid problem-solving skills: the ability to analyze problems and develop actionable and appropriate tactical plans quickly
- Exceptional communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly organized individual
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: principal engineer, engineering, product, machine learning, ML, artificial intelligence, AI, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, Work at Home, Work from Home, Remote, Seattle, WA, Washington, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota, New York City, NY, New York