Azul products are used by hundreds of thousands of Java developers, millions of connected devices globally, and many of the world’s most successful businesses, including 27% of the Fortune 100, 50% of Forbes Top 10 World’s Most Valuable Brands, and all 10 of the world’s Top 10 financial trading companies. Customers include Avaya, Bazaarvoice, BMW, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Telekom, LG, Mastercard, Microsoft, Mizuho, Priceline, Salesforce, Software AG, and Workday.
Azul is the only company 100% focused on Java. As the largest independent Java vendor, Azul has one of the largest Java engineering teams in the world, is a significant contributor to the OpenJDK project, and, with a customer satisfaction rating of 100%, provides the world’s best commercial support for OpenJDK. Azul is a founding advisory board member of a new community hub for Java developers and users of OpenJDK called Foojay, “a Place for Friends of OpenJDK.”
Azul is looking for a passionate, results-driven Sr. Product Marketing Manager. This role can be based anywhere in the US.
This individual will be the ‘CMO’ of the Azul Platform Core product line and lead product messaging and positioning, narrative, content, and sales enablement to fuel growth of Azul. This is a high-visibility, high-growth role that will have direct exposure to the CEO, CRO, and other top-level executives.
Reporting to the VP, Product & Partner Marketing, this individual will be a critical member of the marketing team and lead the full product marketing lifecycle for Azul Platform Core. Azul Platform Core is the world’s best OpenJDK platform and delivers a disruptive value proposition with best-in-class security, value, and 100% customer satisfaction for 70% less than Oracle. With Oracle no longer allowing free commercial use of Java, Azul Platform Core presents a double-digit growth opportunity to disrupt a $1Billion market.
This person must be able to simplify complexity into compelling marketing messages centered around business benefits. They must be fluent in trends in our targeted markets and collaborate with Product Management for necessary adjustments to our product roadmap to adapt to these opportunities. This person will be a trusted partner across product, development, and sales teams.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic and entrepreneurial leader. The successful candidate in this role will be a self-starter who’s passionate about driving a commercially successful open source-based product line to market, is excited by the opportunity to redefine the Java category, and is an amazing storyteller. This person will be a strong team player working across all facets of the business to leverage marketing for company growth.
Azul’s opportunity for growth is tremendous. Bain found that the current market for supported Java runtimes (addressed by Azul) is at least $2.5 billion and that 80% of senior Java decision-makers are looking for a better Java business partner—one that offers better support, value, and security. In May of 2020, the company issued a press release highlighting Bain’s findings, particularly the size of the company’s target market and the opportunity created by Oracle’s skyrocketing support costs as a result of their licensing changes in April 2019. Previously Oracle (and Sun before them) provided the Java runtime free-of-charge, but as of April 2019, Oracle no longer allowed free commercial use. This was alarming for companies around the world who counted on Java to run their businesses and were now expected to pay millions of dollars to Oracle; and a game-changer for Azul, who could support those very same organizations with OpenJDK, the open-source implementation of Java, at a fraction of the cost.
- An innovator in launching new products to market and driving thought leadership, awareness, and pipeline. Takes a portfolio-level view to define and build differentiated platform and application positioning, narrative, and messaging for a commercially successful, open source-based product with a disruptive value proposition. Understands that each incremental push to the market can be instrumental to disrupting and defining the Java category.
- Strategic partner to the Product team in defining the market opportunity, product positioning, personas, use cases, and pricing/packaging. Brings the voice of the customer and sales into every conversation.
- Provides key messaging materials and assets to the sales enablement team to uplevel selling motion and help sales achieve a growth mindset.
- Partner to GTM team to help identify repeatable sales motions and contribute to high-velocity and strategic sales plays.
- A strong partner to growth teams to jointly define marketing leading campaigns that drive awareness, leads, and pipe. A content owner that can advance the quality and impact of demand generation activities and overall event experience.
- Works closely with marketing operations to track the impact of marketing programs and assets against marketing KPIs.
- An instrumental contributor to corporate marketing, including AR, PR, blogs, content creation, and customer success.
- Experience building competitive frameworks to inform company direction and field execution.
- Experience building or guiding content for multiple personas in the sales cycle, including IT execs/CxOs, DevOps, architects, and developers.
- Collaborates with the developer and partner marketing team to build developer/DevOps and partner value propositions, messaging, enablement, content, and presence.
- Partner with sales and the customer success team to build an arsenal of customer spokespeople in any and every marketing asset.
- Comfortable presenting as an SME in front of audiences both internal and external.
- 5-10 years of experience in enterprise B2B marketing including 5+ years in the product marketing function.
- Gifted storyteller. Demonstrated success building product narratives that have resulted in category disruption and awareness.
- Extensive experience running product line marketing and interfacing with go-to-market teams for one or more products in a B2B company
- A customer fanatic; a candidate that understands that no one can tell our story better than our customers and knows how to work with sales (pre & post) to help bring customer spokespeople to the spotlight in all things marketing.
- Data-driven: seeks insights from data to inform repeatable sales motions to drive predictable, higher growth.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong ability to plan and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Team player and strong collaborator with a variety of people and teams.
- Someone well versed in product marketing frameworks, but knows that instinct is what truly drives success.
- Experience with open source, developer-facing products and companies preferred but not required.
- Experience with both product-led growth and forward-thinking enterprise sales models, and how to seamlessly blend the two. Understands the importance and role of DevOps/developers as the key influencers in the sales cycle.
- Understanding the world of Java and how Azul can differentiate in the market. Deep technical chops.
- Familiarity with developer tooling, ecosystems, cloud platforms and services, and in particular application performance monitoring, security, and optimization, both in the cloud and on-premises.