Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The health solutions marketplace is hungry for new ideas, innovative products and software that drives elevated performance for the business and the customer. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, is feeding incredible solutions to that marketplace every day by bringing out the best in our software engineering teams. We serve customers across the health system. Not only do we have more of them every day, we also have more technology, greater data resources and far broader expertise than any competitor anywhere. We’re out to change the way our businesses and consumers engage with technology. If you’re in, you’ll be challenged like never before. It’s time to join this history making.
As a Senior Java Software Engineer you will be part of the team that is improving provider experience within applications in Optum and transforming it to a modernized platform. If you ever wanted to be part of major application redesign, this is the position for you. From solution design, to development, performance tuning, acceptance test and implementation you will be and hands on agent of change.
The complexity of this role can be challenging. We deal with huge amounts of data across our entire enterprise. Everything you work on will have implications that impact others. We’ll provide the most up-to-date technology, but you’ll need to provide creativity, critical thinking and clarity on an everyday basis.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and continuously improve software
- Translate product concepts into project commitments that deliver incremental value to our customers frequently and with high quality
- Participate in Agile / Scrum methodology to deliver high-quality software releases
- Performing all phases of software engineering including requirements analysis, application design, code, test, deploy, and support
- Review code and provide feedback relative to best practices and improving performance
- Troubleshoot production support issues post-deployment and come up with solutions as required
- Be innovative in solution design and development to meet the needs of the business
- Working very closely with Architecture group and driving technical solutions
- Expected to adapt in dynamic and collaborative work environment and make independent decision
- Collaborate to meet project timelines
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Experience working with at least one of the following: continuous integration / continuous delivery tools, REST API development, serverless architecture, containerization, IaC, public / private cloud, application observability and / or messaging / stream architecture
- Experience working within an Agile / Scrum Methodology
- Solid understanding of engineering fundamentals: unit testing, code reviews, Agile and DevOps
- Development experience in Java and related tools / software
- Experience working in the healthcare industry
- Business rule engine experience
- Experience working in Unix / Linux environments
- Experience with the following:
- Streaming technology i.e. Kafka
- Cloud - Open Shift
- Database - NoSQL, DB2
- Microservices architecture
- Web Development - React, Angular
- Understanding of distributed architecture design principles
- Local to Basking Ridge, NJ
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $79,700 to $142,600. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $87,900 to $156,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Senior Java Software Engineer, software engineering, Java, Agile, DevOps, Python, Basking Ridge, NJ, New Jersey, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote