Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Sr. Software Engineer in our San Antonio, TX or 100% remote opportunity.
USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both worlds collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused results. The actual days' onsite are resolved between each employee and the employees manager. This position may also be in a 100% remote work environment.
The candidate selected for this position is going to get work with the Site Reliability Engineering Team in USAAs Chief Technology Office. The primary purpose of Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) at USAA is to improve and sustain the reliability of USAAs most critical IT systems. The role is essential in helping establish and measure service level objectives for critical systems. In addition, SREs will continuously identify engineering and automation opportunities to effectively manage production systems at scale. An SRE will model a blameless culture through effective postmortems and a focus on minimizing impact felt from outages. An SRE should also have experience influencing new ideas to peers and leadership and should have strong teaming and collaboration skills to help support the goals of growing the SRE practice at USAA. A SRE Software Engineer will help to deliver the tools and processes that support the SRE practice across the enterprise.
Provides support to the Enterprise and has an opportunity to significantly impact organizational growth and effectiveness through delivering best in class technology solutions. Engaged in all phases of the software systems and application development lifecycle which include; gathering and analyzing requirements, designing, testing, documenting and implementing software, responding to outages. Identify and manage existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and ensure these risks are effectively identified and escalated to be measured, monitored and controlled.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.
We're proud of USAA's strong history -- and we're even more passionate about our future. That's why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And why we're continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you'll find exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and growing.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Design, develop, code, and test significant technical solutions collaborating with senior and lead engineers.
- Lead code/design reviews to ensure smooth daily operations and accurate planning at a team level.
- Organize work and lead team to deliver features and solutions.
- Independently resolves complex production issues and leads troubleshooting of end-to-end solutions that span multiple applications and systems.
- Mentor and coach junior engineers.
- May begin working with architecture to help influence directions for key technologies within a specific domain.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 6 years of software development experience demonstrating depth of technical understanding within a specific discipline(s)/technology(s).
- Demonstrated ability to independently research technical issues and generate creative/innovative solutions.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Experience in one or more of the following: C, C++, Java or Python.
- Strong experience or working knowledge of end-to-end IT systems (compute, storage, network, security, application runtime, relational databases, REST services, asynchronous messaging, etc.).
- Strong troubleshooting skills and experience developing enterprise applications in a large-scale production environment that utilizes legacy and modern technologies, including but not limited to WebSphere and OpenShift.
- Experience with implementing Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices in an enterprise environment including utilization of tools like Prometheus and Grafana.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective method for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this skill is: $106,800 to $192,300.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is Not Available for this position.